Table of Contents »
If you are not an AHLA member and would like to purchase this title, click here.
Understanding the powers, procedures and remedies available to the government during a health care fraud and abuse investigation, and acquiring a basic understanding of the issues and practical steps to employ during an audit or investigation, are keys to surviving the investigation and achieving a favorable outcome.
This new Handbook will arm health care administrators, executives, medical directors, office managers, physicians, and medical practice managers with a broad understanding of this industry-specific area of government enforcement. The resource is complete with:
• Clear and concise explanations of the law
• Sample government documents, affidavits, and subpoenas accompanying each chapter
• Illustrative pleadings and memoranda prepared by prosecutors and defense attorneys
The authors detail the nuts and bolts of a fraud and abuse investigation, from an overview of the various federal and state enforcement agencies to the potential of settling a case.
Learn what to expect and how to respond with coverage of:
• Requests to examine books and records dealing with an organization's programs and operations
• Interviews of employees by the OIG or the FBI
• The power of HIPAA administrative subpoenas and the broad authority granted under this statute
• Steps that should be taken in responding to the government's request
• Dealing with on-site demands for records and access
• Internal audits and investigations
• Voluntary disclosures
• Affirmative actions to try and fend off an investigation, plea agreements, and deferred prosecution