partner, Wiley Rein LLP
Kirk T. Nahra specializes in healthcare, privacy, information security, compliance programs and insurance fraud issues for the health care and property/casualty insurance industries and others facing legal obligations on these issues. He has been named an expert practitioner by the Guide to the Leading US Healthcare Lawyers, a leading health care lawyer by The Best Lawyers in America directory and one of the leading privacy ‘hired guns’ by Computerworld. Mr. Nahra is the co-chair of Confidentiality, Privacy and Security Workgroup, a panel of government and private sector privacy and security experts advising the American Health Information Community (AHIC).
- Assists companies in a wide range of industries in analyzing and implementing the requirements of privacy and security laws across the country.
- Serves as outside counsel for numerous corporations on matters involving the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 and other privacy and information security issues.
- Develops and evaluates compliance programs, including assessments of whether compliance programs meet evolving legal standards.
- Assists companies in the healthcare, insurance and other industries in defending against government investigations and conducting internal investigations.
- Investigation and litigation of potential fraud against health insurers and property/casualty insurers, including development and oversight of anti-fraud programs.
- Advises the insurance industry on issues involving claims handling, criminal and civil investigations, investigation coordination, information sharing in fraud investigations, defense of tort claims by investigative targets and various contracting issues.
- Counsel, Autism Society of America Board of Directors (2007-Present).
Board of Directors, International Association of Privacy Professionals (2003-Present).
- Editor (2002-Present) and Chair, Advisory Board (2006-Present), The Privacy Advisor, International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- Editorial Advisory Board, BNA Health Care Fraud Report (2000-Present).
- Advisory Board, BNA Health Law Reporter (2004-Present).
- Chair (2005-2007) and Vice Chair (2002-2005), American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Health Law, E-Health & Privacy Interest Group.
- Chair, American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), HIPAA Affinity Group.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named a Chambers USA national “Leading Lawyer” in Privacy & Data Security (2008).
- Recognized as a leading health care lawyer by The Best Lawyers in America directory (2008).
- Dubbed one of the leading privacy ‘hired guns’ by Computerworld magazine (2006, 2007).
- Named an expert practitioner by the Guide to the Leading US Healthcare Lawyers (2006).
Access Kirk J. Nahra Martindale-Hubbell profile on martindale.com.