CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Is it possible to use a newsreader on the new forums?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 443
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Neil Quateman Posted: Fri, Jun 23 2006 8:50 AM
Does anyone know if Outlook Express, or any other news reader, can be used for these new forums?

Neil Quateman
Beyond Management LLC
Los Angeles
310-746-2343

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 174
.CIC
TM CIC

Neil,

You can use Time Matters 7 Here is what I have for accessing CIC - Time Matters:
As you may know already...to view and add a newsprovider
Press Alt+Shft+N to view the News Reader and next press '+' to add a NewsProvider

News Provider name:     'CIC - Time Matters PM Solutions Forum '
News Provider URL
http://pmforums.lexisnexis.com/forums/rss.aspx?ForumID=9&Mode=0&UserName=YOUR+NAME&Token=crazy#Axz##b#c#d#   etc.

Where the url including YOUR NAME and the 'crazy# etc' is obtained by clicking on the RSS icon at the bottom right and then copy the url

HTH

Tom C

Tom Caffrey, CIC (Moderator)
President, Premier Software
Tele: 856-429-3010
Web: www.premiersoftware.com
DEVELOPER - WealthData for  Estates and Elder Law; CivilData for Litigation Feature
Home of SOS: Small Office Server, a subscription based server for small law firms

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 443
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Tom,

Thanks, that's a helpful tip, I'll probably give it a try.  Also, in the HTTP string that you've mentioned, where did you find the "ForumID=9" (or 11, etc.).  If one wants to use an RSS feed for the other forums, I assume that you'd need to know that ForumID value.

I'd still be interested in using a newsreader if anyone knows whether that's possible.

Neil Quateman
Beyond Management LLC
Los Angeles
310-746-2343

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 443
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Tom,

I tried setting up the RSS feed in TM, and it all works fine (the feed shows the list of topics, and I can click on an individual message), but there's one problem.  Although the header of the message appears, the text of the message doesn't appear (it's greyed out).  Any ideas on how to fix that?

Neil Quateman
Beyond Management LLC
Los Angeles
310-746-2343

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 961
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
Neil Quateman:
Does anyone know if Outlook Express, or any other news reader, can be used for these new forums?

Nomenclature check .... RSS Newsfeeds v. Newsgroup Reader.

This forum supports both. The Instructions in this thread are for RSS Newsfeeds.

You can also use a Newsgroup Reader, like OE.

The server is:    pmforums.lexisnexis.com

and you will need to login using your login name and password.

When you look at the forums that are available, you will see them all, but you will only be able to subscribe to those that you have access to.

Thomas L. Rowe, Esq. (Tom)
CIC/Forum Administrator
For Time Matters information, Utilities and Practice Area Templates, visit us at: OTB Consulting

2009, 2010, 2012 LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

Neil,

It might be easier to copy the RSS link then you don't need to worry about the contents of the HTTP string.  After opening a forum, scroll to the bottom of the list and you should see and orange RSS button.  Do a right click on it and copy the shortuct.  It's important to click copy shortcut not just copy.  Then you can paste it into your newreader and it will already include your name and the ID.  Someone else has already explained how to use a  news group so I won't repeate it here.  Hope this helps.

Joanne Anstess

BOLD Technologies, Inc.
Time Matters-CIC
Troy, Michigan
248-457-2000 x10
www.boldtechnologies.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 443
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Joanne and Tom,

You're both right (either make the window bigger, or use Flat View).  Thanks for the feedback. 

I think my preference will be to use a newsreader, so I'm off to try Tom's instructions.

Neil Quateman
Beyond Management LLC
Los Angeles
310-746-2343

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 443
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Tom,

Thanks, it's working fine. Perhaps I missed this in the help files, but if not, maybe it could be added.

--
Neil Quateman
Beyond Management LLC
310-286-6888x125
NQuateman@BeyondManagement..com
www.BeyondManagement.com
<Tom Rowe> wrote in message news:178@pmforums.lexisnexis.com...
Neil Quateman:

Nomenclature check .... RSS Newsfeeds v. Newsgroup Reader.

This forum supports both. The Instructions in this thread are for RSS Newsfeeds.

You can also use a Newsgroup Reader, like OE.

The server is:    pmforums.lexisnexis.com

and you will need to login using your login name and password.

When you look at the forums that are available, you will see them all, but you will only be able to subscribe to those that you have access to.

http://pmforums.lexisnexis.com/forums/148/ShowThread.aspx#178

Neil Quateman
Beyond Management LLC
Los Angeles
310-746-2343

Not Ranked
Posts 0
arnslaw replied on Sat, Nov 11 2006 3:48 AM
Hi,

Thunderbird 1.5.0.8 times out when I try to view the available newsgroups at: pmforums.lexisnexis.com

Can someone please confirm if newsgroup access is currently available?

thanks,

Ed J.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS