Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

"No charge" entries are not correct

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Rich Smith Posted: Mon, Jun 26 2006 9:34 PM

Greetings!

I am having an issue with any "No Charge" time entries that we have showing up on a bill. The amounts from the N/C entries get added onto the "proper" total and create a bill in the system that is higher than it should be.

We want these to be shown because many clients like to see the additional time that we have spent on a matter with zero charges to them. Should I make these a $0.00 rate on the billing items before sending them to the final bill for the client?

Rich Smith

William L. Ferrigan, P.C.

Grand Ledge, MI

Time & Billing Matters 5.0

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 147
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
Hello Rich,

Are you changing the bill status to NO CHARGE or are you just updating the No Charge hours?  Try changing the status and you should get the results you need.

--

Kelly Jones
BTF Services
   Chandler, AZ
   kelly@btf-services.com
   480-422-4315 x1

Time Matters Certified Independent Consultant
Billing Matters Certified Independent Consultant
Billing Matters Plus Certified Independent Consultant
Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Certified Income Tax Preparer
<Rich Smith> wrote in message news:302@pmforums.lexisnexis.com...

Greetings!

I am having an issue with any "No Charge" time entries that we have showing up on a bill. The amounts from the N/C entries get added onto the "proper" total and create a bill in the system that is higher than it should be.

We want these to be shown because many clients like to see the additional time that we have spent on a matter with zero charges to them. Should I make these a $0.00 rate on the billing items before sending them to the final bill for the client?

Rich Smith

Grand Ledge, MI

http://pmforums.lexisnexis.com/forums/thread/302.aspx

Kelly Jones - Moderator | 7 Second System | kelly@7secondsystem.com | Phoenix 480.422.4315 ext. 1 

LexisNexis® Practice Management Certified Independent Consultant LNTPA - Time Matters - Billing Matters - World Server - PC Law

Not Ranked
Posts 0

Hello Kelly,

The bill itself is not "no charge", there are billable items on the bill and we also want to show the client the "no charge" entries that are for work done that is not being charged to the client. The trouble is that these amounts on the "no charge" billing items get added to the total of the bill after it is posted. So when the client pays the bill there is still an unpaid amount which reflects the "no charge" items, but it is not really due from the client so we have to credit it off the account.

And I have checked the status of these items and they are set to "No Charge", so I cannot figure out why they get added into the bill total.

Rich Smith

Grand Ledge, MI  48837

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,196
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

Open a Billing Item record that is a No Charge record. Just below the Charge Status field, there is a No Charge Hours field. This field should have, e.g. 1.00 in it if the Total Duration is 1.00. If the No Charge Hours is zero, the client will be charged for the time despite the fact that the Charge Status in No Charge. I believe this scenario is specific to Billing Matters 5.0 and that in later versions the 1.00 is automatically copied from Duration to No Charge Hours when No Charge is selected.

Wells Anderson, JD, CIC / Moderator
800.575.0007 - Edina, MN - © 2012
www.activepractice.com
Free Time Matters Webinars monthly on the second Friday

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS