LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Puzzler - Bill Flow problem or user error

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Jeff Wyatt Posted: Mon, Aug 7 2006 6:32 PM

On several accounts this month some expense items popped up which should have been on the previous month's bill. All were generated as the result of cutting checks to courts and pointing that expense to the correct matter. The bills were generated out of the bill flow manager. Looking at the properties the dates of the billing items were in mid June and posted to the GL as well before month end. I can't figure how they missed the billing cycle that we ran early in July.

Is there something we could have done in the creation of the Bill Flow collection which would have caused it to miss these charges? The June bill had Fees from before the missing item and an expense after the missing item so it is apparent that the date range encompassed the missed billing item.

This is of much concern because it is not very professional to send out an incomplete bill and then try and collect the missed amount a month later. Sometimes it isn't even possible and the money is lost.

Any guesses as to possible scenarios which might have caused this would be appreciated. This happened on at least 4 bills I have found so far but could be much more widespread (scary thought).

TM 7.0e BM+

Jeff Wyatt

McMahon Law Firm

Abilene Tx

Not Ranked
Posts 0

I found what must have been the problem. When creating the bill flow, there is a window which asks for criteria for charges. Our billing person filtered for a particular staff. This resulted in the bill flow not capturing expenses which were automatically flowing from A/P checks since they come across without a staff association. The result is that they hang out unbilled.

Jeff Wyatt
McMahon Law Firm
Abilene TX

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS