LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Core Functionality v Functionality

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
cfhuntley Posted: Mon, Oct 9 2006 11:01 PM
    The timematters website lists the world server edition as having a "nearly identical interface" and the "core functionality" of TimeMatters.

Where can I find a list of the differences?

Chris Huntley
Huntley Park, LLP
TimeMatter 5.0E looking at upgrade to 8 and adding 8 worldserver.
Boise ID

Chris Huntley The Huntley Law Firm, PLLC Boise Idaho TM10E

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I do not think that you are going to find one. The Time Matters products are in constant development and the differences change rapidly.

Perhaps, if you asked some specific questions we can help you out. If you are using World Server 5, then there has been substantial changes in World Server and I would recommend the update. If you are not using World Server now, what do you hope to gain? How do you want to use it?

World Server 8 is not presently available so if you need to use World Server, you should not install Time Matters 8.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
cfhuntley replied on Tue, Oct 10 2006 8:25 PM

Thanks Matt.

Maybe a top 3 things that don't work in Worldserver with relation to billing matters and the top 3 things that don't work in TimeMatters is a practical place to be.

Impractically -

We use TimeMatters as follows:

Shared Calendar; Contact database; Matter database; Email client for some -others use outlook; Conflict Searches; Document Creation System; including -Formattable Clipboard Templates -HotDocs Templates -and some merge templates; Document Management system; client billing with billing Matters.

We have about 50,000 contacts and 20,000 matters, adding approximately 10,000 of each a year.  Most matters have very low volume of attached emails and documents.  A few matters are quite large.

I am particularly concerned about document creation system working the same for world server as it does for enterprise.

When we create a matter we enter information into a customized field indicating the root and subdirectory information for where all files for that matter should be saved.  When a document form is opened, a field on the document form is auto populated from the matter form, which then populates a portion of the autonaming function - and the document is then saved in the correct directory - works like a charm.  Would like for it to stay that way when moving from TM 5 to 8 and when moving to world server for Mac or Windows clients.

Also: for Mac clients I am wondering about email integration.  If I am using the POP3, will it work?  What about formattable clipboard.

Finally, - I have a need for speed.  Currently we use GoToMyPc or the builtin RWW of Windows SBS 2003 for remote connections.  This produces acceptable speed.  When we tried the VPN on our PIX firewall, speed went down the tubes for TimeMatters in particular.  All the remote employees threatened to quit.  I average 5 full time remote employees but need to accommodate 10.

Thanks for any thoughts, including just a top 3.

Chris Huntley The Huntley Law Firm, PLLC Boise Idaho TM10E

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Tue, Oct 10 2006 11:42 PM

Asking for a top 3 is far too subjective. Imagine asking for users' top 3 Time Matters features. You would get many different answers.

Let me point out that World 8 has not shipped yet and the new feature set has not been released. If you are looking to purchase World 8, then I would recommend that you ask these questions once the product ships. Obviously we know the answers in World 7.

World 7 added the feature to add billing records to Billing Matters. There are no other Billing Matters functions in World Server 7. You would need to create Bills, process payments and prepare reports in Billing Matters Enterprise. Your remote workers could add billing entries and someone at the main office would have to do the billing.

Speed. Time Matters World was developed from the ground up for low bandwidth environments. You also need to factor in your hardware that is supporting World Server in addition to your bandwidth.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,196
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

For clients who have grown accustomed to the Time Matters desktop client and who use Time Matters on and off for a few hours or a workday, I would ordinarily recommend against a switch to World Server. Its suitability depends on a variety of factors and World Server can be an excellent solution for all day use, depending on the type of use.

World Server supports document management, including the merging of documents, but important document features require more time and more steps with the browser client since document files need to be moved back and forth between folders on the remote PC and folders on the server. This would likely be a show-stopper in your environment.

Using the desktop client across a VPN, as you discovered, is never recommended because of the heavy interaction between the client PC, the server, and the fact that VPNs are orders of magnitude slower than local networks.

Wells Anderson, JD, CIC / Moderator
800.575.0007 - Edina, MN - © 2012
www.activepractice.com
Free Time Matters Webinars monthly on the second Friday

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Wed, Oct 11 2006 10:41 PM

I would disagree with a learned Wells in the assessment that the check-in and check-out of documents would be a show stopper. There are solutions to this perceived draw back. One that quickly comes to mind is the ability to mass check-in and check -out. Another is that a user may choose to create several documents as necessary and then upload them all at a later time. Some people find it quicker to get the documents done and later upload, then to create -upload, create up-load. The easiest analogy is that all users are accustomed to attaching documents to email. This is analogous to uploading a document.

The point is that you need to spend some time and make an analysis on whether World Server meets your needs. It may be that your new users never see Time Matters Enterprise and will be trained and transitioned into the World platform. My personal litmus test is whether I could work in the application all day. When I started in World Server 4 (on the sg-20) it was a struggle. I could work in World Server 7 today.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS