LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

AR GL DISTRIBUTION REPORT ERROR

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
Dera Pease Posted: Tue, Oct 10 2006 10:03 PM

I have read prior posts and understand that fees need to be allocated to client, staff or bill code. Using file, set-up, general, program level, billing tab, billing tab, receipt allocation:  I have "client".  However, I still have errors- missing GL accounts.  Any assistance as to why this is happening and how to correct these errors so that I may post would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dera Pease

TM/BM Plus 7.0

Auburn, IN

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 348
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
You must make sure that each client or matter has a GL Account set up on the Accounts Receivable tab of Billing Preferences.  Most firms use the client option when they are recording fee income by client/matter type.  For example, the GL has four income type accounts - Income A, Income B, Income C and Income D.  You would attach the correct income type account to each client/matter.   Let us know if you have further questions.
Deanne Ikard Ikard Consulting Time Matters CIC Billing Matters/Billing Matters Plus CIC Time Matters Enterprise CIC LNTPA CIC PCLaw CIC 707-863-9718 Green Valley, CA Serving Northern California
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Just to add to Deanne's comments. You can look at each matter's billing preferences but to make it even easier you can:

1.  add the GL field to your matter list, then scroll own and look for any matter that is without an entry, OR
  2. Search for matters where the GL Account is empty

To alter your list layout, right click on the tab that you are on and select edit columns. In the left column, find the field GL Account (hint, put the cursor in the list and press G..that will take you there. If it does not keep pressing G until you find it) Add it to the right column. If you want to move it up, press up. It will now appear on your list and you can easily find the matters that are missing a GL account.

You can also run an advanced filter to find the matters without a GL Account. From the binoculars drop down, select advanced filter: Enter:

Field                       Comparison
GL Account             IS Blank

Good Luck.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7

Dera,

Finding these things can be very frustrating!  You have noticed the new(ish) feature that tells you what your errors are, right?  (It appears at the very end of the report when you Preview it.)  That helps a lot.

The other thing that helps:  Hire a consultant.  Really, I found that asking Caren Schwartz to look at it has made a lot more sense than my doing it myself (though she probably hates doing it as much as I do!!!).  I'm sure any consultant can help with it, of course.  But they know the system so well that they can often solve these problems in so much less time than I can.  Just a thought....

-Micah

-Micah Salb Lippman, Semsker & Salb, LLC Bethesda, MD (301) 656-6905 TM/BM8+
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS