LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Upload of Transactions

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 0
Daniel Levine Posted: Wed, Apr 4 2007 5:15 AM

Does anyone know of a way to upload Account entries into BM+.

For example we would like to upload various account entries from previous years into BM.  I am aware of the issues concerning GL account mismatch etc but would like to find a way to do it without going directly to the SQL tables.  For us to fully imbrace BM+ we really would need this in order to deal with previous year items etc.

Many thanks

Daniel A. Levine, CTP Managing Director Hiram Capital L.L.C. Washington: (202) 349-3860 www.HiramCapital.com 1725 I. Street, NW - Suite 300 Washington, DC 20006
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 589
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

I believe you are asking can you import transactions into Billing Matters.  There is not a Custom Import feature for transactions.  The problem is that when entries are made in the software, calculations are made for both sides on the Chart of Accounts.  Depending on where you are making the entry determines how the GL accounts are distributed.  A check as payment on a Matter is handled differently than say a Misc Deposit in the checking account.  Balances are adjusted accordingly when the GL distribution reports are ran and posted.

I don't see how it would be possible to instruct Billng Matters to handle these issues with an Import.  Maybe it could be done directly in SQL, but even that prospect seems daunting as you would again be faced with how the tables are entered, which tables are linked and what calulations need to be run in SQL. (I know we have some SQL gurus out there in the CIC community who sometimes can work miracles)

It is always difficult to some degree to totally bring a new software program, especially accounting, up to date with details from another program.  The aproaches my clients have taken is to determine a beginning point and start fresh with beginning balances for the Matters and Accounts.  The former software sometimes needs to be left open to either finish items or to view and transfer details as needed.

One exception would be unbilled Items.  You can import into Billing items using the Custom Import feature.  There is still the possibility of cleanup that needs to be done to match up Staff Codes, Billing Codes, Charge Status etc.

Of course there is also the option of implementing manual input with training for a resource either from within your firm or hiring outside help.  Cost/Benefit often suggests this is a viable option.

No easy answers here but it obviously can hand has been done successfully.

Richard B. Marx MME Consulting Services, LLC Lexis Nexis Time Matters Certified Independent Consultant (CIC) Moderator Phoenix, AZ 602-667-5706 info@mmeonline.net http://www.mmeonline.net/

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS