CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

World Server as both a LAN and WAN solution?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
gendyliv Posted: Fri, Apr 27 2007 12:21 AM

Our firm is currently looking to upgrade our Time Matters setup.  We're currently running TM 7 Pro with 30 users and, though we're not using the email feature and our database is small, it's starting to lag a little bit for everyone.  A few months back, as I began to explore our upgrade options, I was able to try out World Server and was immediately impressed by its features and cost.  Well, a few months have passed and our managing partner has expressed interest in making the upgrade to the SQL backend----a shame it came after LexisNexis significantly raised the prices on the World Server.

Anways, to cut to the chase, I'm wondering if anyone would recommend or advise against using World Server 8 as our primary outlet for case management.  We currently don't use the email feature in TM 7, and have not really utilized its document management features---though this may change as I  hope to push towards a paperless office.  Moreover, our firm is also looking towards opening branch offices where the staff will undoubtedly need to access the firms' database. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher Hayre Gendlin & Liverman, S.C. christopher@gendlinliverman.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I would not recommend using Pro with 30 users in any environment. Candidly 30 users is significantly over what I would recommend. In your scenario, any upgrade will show a significant increase in performance that will be visible to the end user.

The feature set is slightly different between World Server and Time Matters, although the core functionality and the appearance is the same. The first step is to confirm that the features you presently use will function the same in World. Beyond that you should examine the features you will need and their implementation.

You mention document management. There are differences between the applications. Time Matters has a TM Save in Adobe which will greatly assist in the paperless office. Time Matters does not enforce security on the actual stored files. In essence World Server does. With World Server you have to check-in and check-out document.  World Server performs well on the LAN, I think it is faster than Enterprise. It does act slightly different though as to improve performance it only fetches the next 100 records in the list.

Regardless of your choice, either product will work in your environment. World Server can be used on a LAN or a WAN. Time Matters can be used on the LAN and you can use remote access tools to utilize it on a WAN, although Citrix and Terminal Services is not officially supported by LN.

Feel free to post any follow up questions.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Not Ranked
Posts 0
gendyliv replied on Fri, Apr 27 2007 6:15 PM

Thank you for the input.  We are currently utilizing Time Matters for scheduling, maintaining contacts, and matter management.  As mentioned earlier, we are not currently using the document management and email features.  I may push for both in the coming future, but for now I think the document management aspect would confuse our staff and require extensive training.

I guess for now I'm leaning towards proposing World Server as a solution for both our LAN and forthcoming WAN connections.  One of the complications in our whole process is that we are currently using a Novell NetWare OES for our filserver and will, be it Ent or World Sever, have to make un upgrade to a Windows Server.  The World Server route, however, seems to allow me a more careful and prescient approach to this changeover.  It will allow me to set up a Windows Server strictly for SQL and webserver purposes, while retaining our Novell server in the meantime for email, fileserver, and DHCP purposes.  This modular approach will allow me to take my time phasing out the Novel server, perhaps for some flavor of Linux instead.  (Besides, from my understanding, usings a Windows server in this manner will help me to save on purchasing costly Client Access Licenses---i beleive?).

Any thoughts?  Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I am not sure what thoughts you are looking for. For World Server to work, you need a Fully Qualified Domain Name. Both the LAN and the WAN clients would have to be able to resolve that FQDN. From my understanding the World Server uses 1 named connection to the SQL database, but I do not sell Microsoft products and profer no opinion on Microsoft licensing.

Again, you should look at the features you are presently using. I would suggest that you take a granular approach. Here is an example. In the present release of World Server there are no repeating events, although you can save and copy. From those of us that understand these concepts, it could be insignificant or significant.

World Server 8 has added features for email and document management. There are the Microsofr desktop integrations and the MAPI is also availble for email.

Matt 

Matt Stone, LLB
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

Not Ranked
Posts 0

I had a chance to play around with World Server 8 at the LexisNexis testdrive site.  Feature-wise, it's about everything we'd ever need.

I guess, more than anything, my concerns are technical.  Ideally, I'd like to set-up a brand new Windows 2003 server to handle both the webserver and sql server only, while maintaining our independent Novell Server for email, printing, and file serving purposes.  My main question would be whether or not World Server would work with only 5 client acces licenses for Windows and SQL server.  I assume it would because, according to Microsoft, "Windows CALs are not required when access to the server software is unauthenticated and conducted through the Internet."  Just to be sure, though, I'd like to look over any World Server documentation to familiarize myself with how it functions.  I'd tried contacting LexisNexis for any such documentation in PDF format, but I hung up after a frustrating 45 minute wait on hold.  Not sure if you (Matt) or anyone else would  be willing or able to email me PDF documentation for the World Server.  It would greatly assist in my planning.

Thanks again!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I am not sure any of the PDF documents will help you. To over simplify and not be 100% accurate -users access a webpage, that opens a java applet. That talks to a java application that can access the data in the Time Matters database and display it in the web browser in the familiar Time Matters interface. As you have seen, the current version of Time Matters and the current version of World Server in appearance are almost identical.

I am not Microsoft certified, so I offer no opinion on SQL licensing. I can tell you that the java application logs into SQL using 1 named user.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

Not Ranked
Posts 0

When you say that Java logs in sql using one named user, is that one named user for everyone?  Or do you mean that each each user authenticates individually to the SQL server?

Sorry to keep bothering you with these questions.  I really do appreciate the advice!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

One named user for everyone. It is analagous to Enterprise in that there is a tm8user login.

Again, you should look at the specifics and the details of your current usage of Time Matters to ensure you meet your expectations and needs.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

Not Ranked
Posts 0
baddog replied on Sat, Jun 2 2007 10:30 AM
We are currently using TM 7 Enterprise Edition.  I upgraded from Pro Version to Enterprise in order to increase performance as our users and database size grew.  I looked at upgrading to World Server but concluded that we aren't there yet as far as needing that level of remote access.  Frankly, synchronizing laptops and pda's seems to be enough at this point.  Although, I could see how the features of World Server would be nice.  I guess the real question is whether you will realistically use the extra features.  I am certain that you will appreciate the jump from Pro to Enterprise.  Not so sure you will use all the power of World Server.  Maybe jump to Enterprise and then do the World Server upgrade later.   Anyway, I hope these thoughts help in your analysis.
John S. Razor, Attorney at Law Law Office of John S. Razor 659 Cottage Street NE Salem, OR 97301 (503)362-5600
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 19
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Hello -

I know I am late to this thread by six months, but in case any one is interested here is a link to the age old Microsoft licensing question of how many SQL Licenses you need when using apps like World Server....  The section on Multiplexing is the one you want to look at.  I also dont claim to be a licensing expert but I think this document clearly defines Microsofts stance on the subject.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlserverlicensing.mspx

Josh Sukol, Expert Consulting LLC

Time Matters CIC

Cleveland OH

josh@expertconsulting.com

(216) 315-6072

Josh Sukol Expert Consulting, LLC JSukol@CornerstoneIT.com Direct (216) 315-6072 Cleveland Ohio

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS