Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

TM9E, Vista 64 and Office 2007

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
Jeffrey Wilens Posted: Tue, Feb 5 2008 12:41 AM

Is anyone running all 3?

In Office 2007, are you able to click on the TM save/open buttons or do you get a configuration error message?  If the latter, you may be able to use the TM save/open buttons in Office 2007 by disabling User Account Controls.

I would appreciate any input on this.

Jeffrey Wilens Lakeshore Law Center 17476 Yorba Linda Blvd., Suite 221 Yorba Linda, CA 92886
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 19
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
I don't use Vista 64, Thought I am using XP, and Vista 32 as well as Office 2007. Depending on the office 2007 installation I have found that I have to enable macros in office for the TM buttons to work. Also, because it is Vista you may need to login as administrator one time and perform the ad-in installation by going to the workstation setup screen. On my Vista test machine I had to do this to get them working for the first. I hope this helps.

Josh Sukol Expert Consulting, LLC JSukol@CornerstoneIT.com Direct (216) 315-6072 Cleveland Ohio

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
I am administrator and macros are fully enabled.  However, my question was whether Vista users have found they have to disable UAC in order for the TM buttons to work in Office 2007.  Anyone?
Jeffrey Wilens Lakeshore Law Center 17476 Yorba Linda Blvd., Suite 221 Yorba Linda, CA 92886
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 19
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
Sorry if I am over analyzing - and I am no UAC expert. But I think this may help you get working now but may not be the long term answer you are looking for. I believe there is a difference between being logged in as administrator and having administrator rights. In my case I login with a network ID (Active Directory) and on the local machine my active directory ID is added to the local administrator group. On my vista machine if I log in as myself and try to install a program UAC pops up, I give it permission to continue and it works. My understanding is that with UAC enabled this is how I access my admin rights. On the same machine if I go to Workstation Level setup in Time Matters 9 Enterprise and click on "Additional Program Setup" and then close out I get an error saying I need admin rights. I am assuming that for some reason the program that needs to run is just failing to call UAC. If I log out and then login with the actual administrator ID and perform the same action I dont get the message, and believe the logged in as the admin I never get prompted for anything UAC related. Then when I log back in as my normal user all the TM Links work. Currently I am having some unrelated issues that prevent me from recreating this scenario so this is described from memory but its only been about I week so I am confident these are the only steps I took. So, this has allowed me to get the links to work without having to disable UAC. I believe that logging in with the administrator account is the equivalent of having no UAC and that appears to be the case since logged in with the administrator ID I don’t get any UAC prompts and the TM links installed correctly. However, keep in mind the administrative login that I am using is a network administrator login so your mileage may vary. As I described above it worked for me, and I was able to keep UAC activated. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Josh Sukol Expert Consulting, LLC JSukol@CornerstoneIT.com Direct (216) 315-6072 Cleveland Ohio

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1

Thanks Josh, but you lost me.

I only have one person (me) using the computer.  There is only one user account in Vista and it is listed as an administrator.  When I go to the workstation on Vista I have no problem using "Additional Program Setup" or the Office 2007 link.  No error message at all.

The link between Office 2007 and TM9E does work if you operate from TM9E and try to save an Office 2007 document as a TM document.  However, if you click on the little button for TM save from within Office 2007, it does not work if UAC is enable and does if UAC is not enabled.

So, are you saying that currently, on your workstation, from within Office 2007, if you click on the toolbar link for TM Save, it will open a TM Save window for you?  And that's with UAC enabled on your Vista workstation?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 19
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
Hi Jeff, Our situations must be different in regards to UAC because my PC is setup on a network with a server and when I logon as 'Administrator' I am using the network admin account. I am not sure where to go from here since I dont have much experience with Vista. If I get another chance to test I will post here again. In the meantime you may consider finding a CIC that has knowledge of UAC to help you.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 430
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
I don't think your problem is UAC.  UAC will pop up even if you are logged in as an administrator when you are performing an activity that could be potentially dangerous.

One of my machines is similar to yours, but it is Vista 32 Business.  I believe that what you need to do is run TM as an administrator when you are installing the integration.  By default, even though you are an admin, Vista will not run applications with elevated permissions unless you explicitly tell it to.  Just right-click on the TM icon, and choose 'Run as Administrator', and then install the Outlook integration and let us know how it works out.

Don't know if the 64-bit OS is causing a problem, but probably not I would guess.

Kevin Bross
CIC/Moderator
7 Second System & Abacus Consulting, LLC
Butler, NJ
kbross@abacus-consulting.com
www.abacus-consulting.com
973.492.5953 x200

Copyright 2006-2012 - Kevin Bross

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1

I tried Mr. Bross's suggestion and did the following:

1.  Re-enabled UAC on my computer and rebooted as required.

2.  Opened Word 2007 and tried the TM Save/Open links to see if they still did not work now that I have UAC in play.  They still do not work.

I get the error message "Location Not Found" and it says it will open my File Location Configuration File, which it does, but the File is empty.  The paths are not there.  However, this appears to be a bit of a red herring because my file locations are just fine as we will see below.l

3.  I closed Word 2007.  I ran TM9E as administrator by right clicking.  I went to workstation set-up and clicked on Word Processer and Other Programs.  I disabled Word 2007 and Outlook integrations, then opened those screens again to re-enable them (actually TM automatically checks to enable them whenever you open this screen). 

(Kevin, you said install Outlook integration, but I assume you also meant Word integration and you meant instal by just checking the checkbox)

4.  I now started up Word 2007 again.  TM Save/Open links still do not work.  Get exact same error message.

5.  I now disable UAC again and reboot.  Start up TM9E and Word.  The TM links work fine and there is nothing wrong with my File Location Configuration File.

Ergo, it appears something in Vista is blocking the TM Link in Office 2007 applications from working unless UAC is disabled. 

If someone has the TM Links working in Vista 64 with UAC enabled, I would love to share thoughts.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 41
Jwyatt replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 10:04 AM

I know this is an old link but I found a solution for a similar problem I had with Windows 7 and if anyone is searching the archives I thought I would add this info.

I had to replace my hard drive on my Windows 7, 64 bit machine.  I made an image of the original and installed it on the new hard drive.  Everything seemed to work but all of a sudden I was unable to open Time Matters unless I right clicked on the icon and chose Run as Administrator.  After many rabbit trails the answer for me was to go to Windows Explorer, right click on the tmw7e folder, choose properties, choose security, choose edit and then give the Users Group full permissions by checking those boxes which were unchecked.

That solved the problem and Time Matters opens without problem.

Jeff Wyatt
Abilene Texas

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS