LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Re-ordering Chart of Account

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
dhong Posted: Wed, Feb 6 2008 12:00 AM

I'm not sure how my chart of accounts has gotten so messed up, but my guess is it's because I didn't know what I was doing when I set it up.

My problem is that I have created a bunch of accounts (to which I have already posted entries) and these accounts are appearing in the wrong place on the chart. For example, I have created a "utilities" account which belongs under Expenses. However, in my chart it is under Income. I used the File > Setup > Accounting Options > Chart of Accounts and tried to re-order the offending accounts, but I could only re-order them within a major heading (e.g., income), but not between headings (e.g., moving an account from Income to Expenses).

Is there anyway to do this?

If not, then I assume my only solution would be to create new accounts located under their correct headings and then do a series of process changes to move the entries from the old accounts to the new accounts, and then delete the old accounts, right?

Thanks,

Derek

Hong Law, PLC

Cedar Rapids, IA

Derek Hong Hong Law, PLC Cedar Rapids, IA Practice Advantage 8
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
I don't think you will be able to process - change to move the information. Once you have created the new accounts I believe you will have to make journal entries to transfer the amounts from the old account to the new account. The other alternative is to delete or void the transactions and re-create them.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Not Ranked
Posts 0
dhong replied on Fri, Feb 8 2008 5:42 AM
Ouch!
I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me the secret method of re-ordering the accounts so I could avoid the hassle of a process change. It sounds like you're tell me that not only is a simple reordering impossible, but the painful process change is also impossible and I'm going to be forced to do the excruciatingly painful journal entries or worse yet, re-enter all of my data!, to fix this problem.
I've got 10 months worth of entries that need to be fixed! Please tell me that there is another way.
Derek
Derek Hong Hong Law, PLC Cedar Rapids, IA Practice Advantage 8
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 147
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
If you are sure that you set up your utilities account under expenses and now it is showing under income, your Chart of Accounts might have become corrupted.  There is a utility that will assist you in fixing this issue, either contact Technical Support for assistance for feel free to contact me directly, off-line.  I hope this helps!

Kelly Jones - Moderator | 7 Second System | kelly@7secondsystem.com | Phoenix 480.422.4315 ext. 1 

LexisNexis® Practice Management Certified Independent Consultant LNTPA - Time Matters - Billing Matters - World Server - PC Law

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS