LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

How to deal with is/are, etc.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Laurie Snell Posted: Mon, Sep 1 2008 12:41 AM
My question is: What is the best way to deal with variables that change depending on gender(he/him/his, she/her/her, it/it/its) and also the number of people/parties involved? Things like using "is/am" for single and "are" for plural, proper possessives and dealing with verbs changes from single to plural. No doubt the solution is so simple and obvious that most of you experienced people don't even think about it any more.

I'm a new HotDocs user - 2008 Pro version installed, working with Word 2003 to set up an Endowment Agreement template (.rtf file).

I've worked through the HD tutorials so have just the basics, but I've programmed extensive WordPerfect merge documents with a variety of IF, ELSE, GETSTRING options, etc. I'm baffled on how best to deal with this in HotDocs - I'm poking around in the Help files and getting all sorts of ideas but thought I'd float this out to the experts.

In WordPerfect, I'd nest in another file that held ASSIGN codes for all sorts of  variables that I could then use throughout any document. There might be something similar in HD, I just haven't found it in the Help files yet :)

Thank you very much!
Laurie Snell In-House Computer Solutions Inc. Edmonton, AB Canada (780) 991-6030 e-mail: inhouse@telusplanet.net
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 111
.CIC
HD CIC
TM CIC

I will often create a multiple choice variable called "Gender" with the options of male/female/entity/plural.  Then the he/she/it/they is merely merge text.  The same is true for is/is/is/are for verbs.

Seth
Seth G. Rowland, Esq. (CIC) Basha Systems LLC (New York, NY) (800) 725-0326 or sgr@bashasys.com www.bashasys.com (c) 2009 by Basha Systems LLC
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS