CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Is there a way to prevent staff from appearing in the staff summary when all of their time is marked as Do Not Bill?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
Jennifer Ahrens Posted: Fri, Jan 23 2009 7:54 PM

Hi, We have a custom bill layout that has an area for the staff summary which is presented in a table format that contains the following info: Staff Initials, Staff Name, Hours and Rate. If we mark all of the time for a staff as Do Not Bill, their initials, name and rate appear with an hours of 0.00. Is there a way to prevent staff from appearing in the staff summary when all of their time is marked as Do Not Bill?

Thanks.

J Ahrens Collen IP Ossining, NY TimeMatters/BillingMatters 9.0 Enterprise SR3A Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 MS Office 2003 SP3
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
Archive that time to avoid having it factor into the staff summary. But, I have to ask; why would you input time as 'do not bill'? I discourage using that status. If there is administrative time that cannot be billed to a client, I suggest creating matters to record that time rather than recording it on the client matters. For instance, If I have a client 'Kathy's Firm' with matters 'Housekeeping', 'Non-billable Research',  'Library Administration', 'Vacation and Sick Time', all time entries that fall into these categories is entered into these matters. I set an 'action' on the matters to write down 100% on billing. In that way, I can report on the original value, my firm overall realized rate, and can get other data on staff productivity and profitability.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

We don't use the "Do Not Bill" often but sometimes we might choose not to bill a client for some of the time. Its not necessarily administrative time and we don't want to archive it or enter this time to a different matter since this would affect the reports that we run internally to see hours on a matter by staff, etc. The archiving or putting the time into a new matter is introducing additional steps that we would rather not have to take. We want to keep the time in the matter but need a way to mark the billing items for a staff member as not to be billed (not included on the bill) and so the staff name does not appear in the staff summary. Why is the staff person's name appearing in the summary if we have marked all of their time entries as Do Not Bill? It seems like then their name should not appear.

J Ahrens Collen IP Ossining, NY TimeMatters/BillingMatters 9.0 Enterprise SR3A Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 MS Office 2003 SP3
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
I can't disagree that the Do Not Bill numbers shouldn't be factored into the summary, particularly since they aren't actually ON the bill or BEING billed. But, that's the way it's been from the beginning of time. If the item falls in the date range, it gets included. Here's another suggestion. When you do your bill items, are you assigning bill codes to them? If so, is it practicable to limit the items included on the bill to those with particular codes, thereby giving you a way to filter out the 'do not bill' items by giving them some other bill code. For instance, if the items included on the bill all had bill code BW, and the Do Not Bill items had bill code DNB, when you create the bill, you can filter for bill code BW only. Does that make sense?

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS