Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Main Office - Branch Office Configuration

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 16
Steven McLean Posted: Wed, Jun 17 2009 7:30 PM
Normal 0 false false false EN-CA X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

We are in the process of opening several "Branch Offices" (small offices 1 -Lawyer, 1 - Clerk).  All data must reside on servers at the main office  (no more than 1/2 min out of sync).  What is the best configuration for this for Time Matters - PC Law.  1) Terminal services to the main office.  2)Servers at the branch offices with synchronization to the main office servers.  Time Matters must sync with Exchange. 

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  

Thanks

Steven McLean

Cook & Company - Barristers and Solicitors

Steven McLean

Cook & Company - Barristers and Solicitors

Brampton, ON

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 0
We are also going to be doing a branch office in the near future.  I can tell you by far your cheapest route will be doing a terminal server at the main office that everyone connects to.  With the other option, you will need a dedicated private t-1 between offices for the secure connection and link with the network at the other office to include a server at the remote location to go through to get to your main office network.
Keith Phillips Manager, Information Systems Strong and Hanni kphillips@strongandhanni.com 801-323-2030
Not Ranked
Posts 0
J_Dorst replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 1:30 AM
Hi: We have a few remote offices, all with 1 or 3 staff members. We're running TM 9E and PCLaw Pro (now just upgraded to Enterprise) v. 9.3. The server is SBS 2003. Primarily the remote users did not run TM but entered their time into PCLaw this way, however, when traveling the attorneys from the main office would work on TM remotely. Upside to this system is that you don't need to setup Terminal Services on your server or a separate server to run this service. Down side is that you need a computer in the main office for each remote user, or at least one for each user that will be using the system at the time. For a few years we've done remote connectivity through Remote Web Workplace (RWW). For the most part this worked pretty well, though we had one of our offices consistently complain of system time outs after a few minutes of connectivity. Eventually they quit using it entirely. Recently we had Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) setup for those users. They love it. Log-in is much simpler and faster plus they haven't experienced the service drops that plagued that office location previously. The disadvantage is that they need the log-in information at the computer they are using, so this doesn't work as neatly for using a public computer. There are other good systems for remote access (Log Me In, Go To My PC are but a couple). They still require a computer dedicated to each active user, plus a monthly fee. RDC and RWW are both free software provided by MS. RDC even has a Mac client that works quite well - I've been using it for years for remote access to our server from home. John Dorst Herrig & Vogt, LLP
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 353
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

With the requirements you posited, the only realistic option is terminal services.  You could use another remote access solution, such as GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, etc., but you would need one computer for each concurrent user.  If you want concurrent access by several remote users, TS is cheaper than multiple computers.

Plus, there's no way to synchronize many PCLaw databases.  Time Matters can be replicated, but that's another level of sophistication and cost.  Not to mention putting a server at each office or synching multiple Exchange and Time Matters databases.  Put everything on the network at the main office and TS into it from the remote offices.

Robert S. McNeill, J.D., Time Matters-Billing Matters-PCLaw CIC, Moderator

OTB Consulting-2009 and 2010 Lexis Platinum Achievement Award-Top Time Matters Producer

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 452

Steven

We support remote access technology called Thinworx. It sits on top of terminal services and gives the end users a windows interface which is very well controlled with security. I currently use it to give my people access from remote offices and you can have multiple connections from the outside and do not need a dedicated machine. The absolute benifit which our clients love is that end users cannot accidently turn off the server which you can with Remote Desktop Connection and an office adming or office tech person can adminsiter the product. The end user only sees the applications that you give them access to.

We have a case study with a lawfirm for you to look at and if you want a demo of the product, please contact me offline. We will have a live demo up sometime next month. Thank you. Deepa

Case study - http://www.thinworx.com/product_cs5.asp

Deepa Patel Halak Consulting LLC.2002 Alameda Ave, Suite  2 Alameda, CA 94501 PH - 415-233-4240 www.halakconsulting.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS