LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Unable to open the specified merge data file

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
scooterfj62 Posted: Mon, Aug 3 2009 5:42 AM
The computer we run TM on failed and we had to install a new one. Restored the TM via a recent backup of the old computer. Now we get this message any time we try and create a new merge document, "Unable to open the specified merge data file". All the date seems to be in the client files and we can access all the pre-existing documents. The templates themselves look fine as well. Any thoughts are much appreciated.Thanks
Scott J. Liotta, Esquire Liotta Law Group, P.A. 121 South Orange Avenue Suite 1500 Orlando, FL 32801
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I would start by looking at the merge set up. File - Setup-templates - Merge. Find the merge in question. Open it. On the third tab - (Files) look for what is in the "specified merge data file" field. I would suspect it does not exist or you are not able to access that location.  If it is something that you do not recognize, try checking automatically assign and run the merge again.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
I just saw this error with a client. It was a Word issue. You don't mention your version of Word, but here's what fixed it on Word 2003. Go to tools> macros> macros, and click on organizer. If you find a TmPDDE, remove it. I find this recurs when Outlook has Word as the editor. If you're in another version of Word, Google has lots of posts on how to locate the normal.dot inclusions. Hope that helps.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
Thanks Kathy, did that and still no luck. Getting the same initial error message and then when I try and view the merge data file I am getting Runtime Error 4198 and the same debug error as before.
Scott J. Liotta, Esquire Liotta Law Group, P.A. 121 South Orange Avenue Suite 1500 Orlando, FL 32801
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
Hmmm. Copy the tmword.dot (the new one - if you don't have it, let a CIC know, and they can help you get it, but you should have gotten an alert email on this file), is in the office startup folder at each local workstation AND in the tmw folders locally and on the server. Copy it to c:\program files\microsoft office\office11 (or office12 in 2007)\startup. Then run the workstation setup for word processor.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS