LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Reminders to calendar

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
Lee R. Posted: Sat, Sep 26 2009 8:47 PM
I would like to have upcoming reminders displayed on a monthly calendar, and/or be able to print a list of upcoming reminders. I only seem  to be able to get a list of past due items on the "alerts and reminders" screen. I am using V. 9 3B professional.

Thanks.
Lee
Lee Raaen Law Office of G. Lee Raaen PO Box 31698 Seattle, WA 98103-1698
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
You could easily setup a quicktab to show what your want and then print that list.
You can also print a weekly or monthly calendar and only include todo's. From the calendar, click on the print icon. Choose your format and on the options tab, only check include to dos.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 589
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
Lee, if you use the Date field to reflect the actual deadline or upcoming Event (future date) and then use the Reminders to count backwards for the reminder dates, you should get what you want from the Alerts, Reminders and Watches, Print>List Format. If you need to bring Events and ToDos together you should also look at the Personal Journal. Set the Focus Date to Today and then Filter the Calendar for a 30 day period (or longer). Again you can print in list format.

Richard B. Marx MME Consulting Services, LLC Lexis Nexis Time Matters Certified Independent Consultant (CIC) Moderator Phoenix, AZ 602-667-5706 info@mmeonline.net http://www.mmeonline.net/

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
Lee R. replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 1:21 AM
Caren,

Thanks for your response. I must be missing something in either my query or in my execution of your suggestion. When I try to print a weekly or monthly calendar with the to dos, the reminders no not appear on the calendar.

I set up a quick tabs to include "reminders" in the list, but what I get is a list of the event or to do with a column with the reminders all listed next to the entry, i.e. "45,30,15". That doesn't help in giving me a warning of upcoming deadlines.

I would like to have the reminders appear on a calendar in some way, but so far, it eludes me.

Thanks again.
Lee Raaen Law Office of G. Lee Raaen PO Box 31698 Seattle, WA 98103-1698
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 353
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
Time Matters is not designed to perform the function you want, i.e., print a list of all reminders, such that if record has five reminders (1,5,10,20,45) in the Reminder field it would print five dates on the report. To accomplish your goal, you need to enter each "reminder" as a separate (probably a todo) record. There may be better ways to accomplish your goal (which I can only guess at), but one way would be to enter the "deadline" record (probably an event, todo, or UDR (user-defined record, new in v. 9) , and the use Save & Copy function (CTRL+Y) to easily copy it and assign another date and perhaps description to it, then create as many more records in the same manner as you want as "reminders." Then you can print a list of all of the "reminders," and if there are five reminders for a deadline, you will see five reminders on the report. (Although I'm not sure why you'd want a report with all of the reminders on it.) You should probably code the records differently so you can differentiate between the actual deadline and the reminders, then use Quick Tabs to filter out just the deadlines. There's lots of variations on the deadline theme, but I recommend having a very lean and clean deadline list somewhere, whether it's events, todo's, or UDRs that more than one person (maybe the responsible staff with the administrator as a fail-safe) monitors on a regular basis. Then set up a "tickler" system, which consists of todo records as described above, and use the Priority field as the secondary sort field (which is the default). Although it may work for some people, I don't like the built-in Reminders system because there's no way to make the reminder persistent until you've taken care of it, like you can mark a record Done. If you're not in the office on the day of the Reminder, you don't see it the next day. HTH,

Robert S. McNeill, J.D., Time Matters-Billing Matters-PCLaw CIC, Moderator

OTB Consulting-2009 and 2010 Lexis Platinum Achievement Award-Top Time Matters Producer

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS