LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Beginning Outlook sync

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38
Joseph Nierenberg Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:10 PM

I have diligently avoided using MS Outlook.  Now, however, I need to purchase a new mobile phone, and TM10 does not sync directly with any of the most recent generation of smartphones.  I do not use Exchange.  I think that leaves me with syncing from TM to Outlook and then, in a separate step, from Outlook to my new phone.

Is there anything that I should know before I start that process?  Are there recommended tweaks or necessary sequences?  Is there particular data that I should expect not to make it all the way over to the phone?

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,196
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

Several of my clients have asked about replacing the Treo and other smartphones with a new model that syncs well with Time Matters. Unfortunately, none of the current crop of cell phones has the ability to sync Matters with Time Matters the way the Palm OS mobile devices do. (You can work around that limitation and get a Matter list onto your phone, but that is a separate topic).

So many factors are involved in choosing a smartphone or mobile phone to use with Time Matters that there is no one best model for everyone. To help you narrow down the choices, I have posted a mindmap or outline on my blog, 1234Tips, here:

Smartphones and Time Matters
http://www.activepractice.com/1234tips/smartphones-and-time-matters.html

You can subscribe to a hosted MS Exchange service for a very affordable monthly fee. That gives you over-the-air synchronization between Time Matters and your smartphone. No more manual syncs! I believe it is well worth the subscription cost. Because of all the factors involved, it makes sense to discuss your options with a Certified Independent Consultant.

If you do not want to go the over-the-air route, you need to synchronize Outlook with Time Matters manually. I have written a utility program that makes that process semi-automatic. If there is enough interest in it, I could polish it and offer it for purchase.

Wells Anderson, JD, CIC / Moderator
800.575.0007 - Edina, MN - © 2012
www.activepractice.com
Free Time Matters Webinars monthly on the second Friday

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 383

Joseph,

I would echo Wells' sentiments and offer a good read just posted on my blog regarding the state of syncing..... www.practicebetter.com

You will find, depending on the model and operating system of the phone, various options are available. Some in fact do not include syncing to Outlook (Palm WebOS) without third party tools.

Steve Stockstill
Data Equity LLC
www.DataEquity.com, www.PracticeBetter.com

The Time Matters add-on developers...
MobileTM, SharpShooter, GuestOffice, GoogleConnect 4TM and OfficeManager 4TM

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 26
KHarper replied on Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:09 PM

I am intrigued by this discussion about synchronizing Smartphones.  I have a Windows Mobile 6 phone; the other two people in the office that sync handhelds have Blackberries.  I spoke with TM Tech support last week because of the concerns I've seen posted on this board.  The person I spoke with said that TM10 should sync.  He said they had not changed the synch programs between 9 and 10, but that these should still synch okay.  Is this not what people are experiencing in the field?  (We have been putting off upgrading to TM10 because I need to replace the server that hosts my TMW9E, and am still debating whether to go Windows 7  or Windows Server, and whether to add an Exchange Server here).

Kurt Harper Attorney Wichita, KS
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I have a blackberry curve and sync regularly with Time Matters v10. Once you setup the sync in Time Matters, you need to make sure the links are turned on in the Blackberry desktop manager. Once that is done, whenever you sync the Blackberry the Time Matters items on the Blackberry are updated. Be aware that the Time Matters applications are separate from the Blackberry "native" applications. However, you can dial from the Time Matters contact list.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 383

Kurt,

If you have a phone that syncs now, you are fine.There is no change in V10 that should preclude you from upgrading based on this issue.

Most of the discussion here in the forums has been focused on the newer phones like; Palm, iPhone, Android (based) and Blackberry models.

Steve Stockstill
Data Equity LLC
www.DataEquity.com, www.PracticeBetter.com

The Time Matters add-on developers...
MobileTM, SharpShooter, GuestOffice, GoogleConnect 4TM and OfficeManager 4TM

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS