CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Itemize ONLY Additional Charge items on bill with flat fee arrangement?

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
Micah Salb Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 1:33 PM

I have many clients for whom the bulk of our work is done on a flat fee basis, but often I also do additional work which is to be billed hourly.  My Bill Profile for flat fee cases does NOT show Time Charges at all (instead, I use Billing Messages).  But I would like to show time charges when we have additional billed items.  Is there any way to do that?

I've tried to devise a decent workaround.  Other than deleting billing items that are part of the flat fee (or moving them to a dummy account), or creating two accounts (one for flat fee time and one for additional time), both of which are lousy solutions, I can't think of anything.  If there is no way to do what I want (Itemize Time Charges but only if "Additional"), can anyone think of a way of getting around this?

-Micah Salb Lippman, Semsker & Salb, LLC Bethesda, MD (301) 656-6905 TM/BM8+
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699

Add the billing items for the "extras" and change the Charge Status from Billable to Additional Charge. This will be an add-on to the flat fee. Setup the bill profile to itemize fees. On the totals and summaries tab, click on "Only show additional charge records."

Let us know if that works for you.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT /

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS