CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

What is the best way to assign multiple clients to a matter for joint representation?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
Erik Hammarlund Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:17 PM

I sometimes do joint representation--husband/wife, or founder/corporation, etc.  How do people handle the "one client per matter" limit in PC Law?  i have created a contact type called "other client" and I go that route, but I am not sure how that will work for conflict searches, etc.

Any ideas?

Erik Hammarlund

Hammarlund Law Office

PO Box 2487

18 State Road, Unit B

Vineyard Haven, MA 02568

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 544
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

If you are using the contacts in PCLaw, your client would already be in the system.  PCLaw does contain case management features so you can relate contacts, events, to do, notes to a matter.  Add a contact for the other party and link it to the matter under Matter Manager.  Conflict search should then find both parties.  If you are using a case management system along with PCLaw, then you have to decide which system todo conflict checks, or both. 

Hope this helps. 

Pat Cunningham, PCLaw CIC, Time Matters CIC

C & S LegalTech Consulting Group, LLC

Birmingham, AL

(205) 647-1850

http://www.cslegaltech.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32

I guess I would open a client in the joint names of husband/wife. If the issue is billing and accounting then you could create two seperate clent matter files if they will be billed time apart. Furthermore if it will be a case of split % billing when both matters will be billed at the same time, you could create a main client/matter in the names of husban/wife (e.g. Mr & Mrs...). Then create seperate client matters for each one of them and then associate them as subsidiary matters to the main matter. I guess for conflict search they will appear more than once.

Hassan Maje Anjarwalla & Khanna PCLawPro Ver 9.10d, Accounting Method: Accruals
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS