LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Lost Power Views

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9
david_vandenbroek Posted: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:06 PM

I had a problem with a corrupt Windows User Profile and resolved the problem by creating a new user and copying my files to the new profile.

Now I have a problem with a missing Power View in my Jobs (Matters) list view. Power Views work with my Contacts and Docs list views, and the User List Options default to the Program Level Default Power View. I've tried selecting different default Power Views in the Program List Settings, and restarted Time Matters, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I've also tried to select an old backup Power View thinking that the newer version might be corrupt as well, and tried resetting the Windows permissions on the C:\TMW9E folder.

Is it time to re-install Time Matters?

Time Matters Enterprise v9.0 SR 3B
Windows XP Professional, with all updates

Thank you in advance for any help.

David Vandenbroek

--- David Vandenbroek Edmonton, Alberta CANADA T5Y 2X9
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,196
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

The Power View files are located in \template\powerview folder of your Files Directory. The Files Directory drive and folder are set here:

Main Menu | File | Utilities | File Locations

Open TMWE.CFG and check the Files Directory entry to make sure it is the correct one.

It is possible that you were using a different folder that had a slightly different set of Power View files in \template\powerview

Another possibility is that somehow the file for your Jobs Power View was deleted, renamed or mismatched in the Program Level Setup Power View setup.

What is the name of the missing Power View? Are you missing more than one Jobs Power View? I ask because you may have installed a third-party Power View that you won't find in an unaltered set of Power View files.

Wells Anderson, JD, CIC / Moderator
800.575.0007 - Edina, MN - © 2012
www.activepractice.com
Free Time Matters Webinars monthly on the second Friday

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Thanks for the double-check Wells.

Yes, I've made sure my config file is pointing to the correct File Location. I had a feeling it was OK since other Power Views for my Contacts and Docs were showing up fine, nonetheless I reset it to that location just now. And no, I've only ever had just the one set of Power Views in C:\TMW9E\Data\files\template\powerview.

The Power View I use with the Jobs list view is named Summary, and it's located in the Matter folder (I've never had a 'Jobs' folder, even though that's the nomenclature I use). I've backed up the Summary Power View a number of times in the same folder, but I've always renamed it to include the date I did the backup (ie. Summary View(M)_122107.htm). All the Summary Power Views stored in the Matters folder show up in the Program Level Setup, but none of them actually appear when I select one as the default Power View or change the Power View via the drop down menu above the Jobs list view.

Hopefully you have another idea...?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 383

David,

If a powerview contains any reference to a Time Matters data element that has been disabled, the entire powerview will be unavailable. For instance, if you have a powerview referencing the Custom Forms data type and the Custom Form data type is disabled (unchecked under program/user level list options), the powerview will not be visible.

Steve Stockstill
Data Equity LLC
www.DataEquity.com, www.PracticeBetter.com

The Time Matters add-on developers...
MobileTM, SharpShooter, GuestOffice, GoogleConnect 4TM and OfficeManager 4TM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,196
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

Yes.

Main Menu | File | Setup | General | Program Level | Lists
Select List Type:  Jobs  (same as Matters in other databases)
Press: Set List Options
Power View tab
Either select Summary View and press Change or, if Summary View is not listed, press Add
The Name should be:  Summary View
The Template field has a drop-down. Select the appropriate Summary View(M) choice, although you can select any listed Power View.

If for some reason, the .htm file for your Summary View is broken, you can download the original here:

http://www.activepractice.com/storage/downloads/SummaryViewM.zip

Note that there is a space in the actual .htm file when it is unzipped.

Wells Anderson, JD, CIC / Moderator
800.575.0007 - Edina, MN - © 2012
www.activepractice.com
Free Time Matters Webinars monthly on the second Friday

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Hi Wells,

To be sure I had everything set as you described in the first part of your email, I downloaded the Summary View you posted at www.activepractice.com and copied it to C:/TMW9E/Data/files/template/powerview/Matter. To be sure I was working with the new file, I renamed it Summary View(M)_Wells.htm . I then followed your directions to choose that particular Summary View, and even made it the default for the Jobs list view. Unfortunately, this wasn't the problem.

In fact, I can cycle through any of the other Power Views that are included with the Jobs/Matters list view with the installation of Time Matters Enterprise - the Billing View, Detailed Billing View, Doc View Bottom, Doc View Side, Email View, Form View, Note View or Phone View, and none of them will appear upon selection.

Dave

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Hi Steve,

Assuming you're referencing the File menu > Setup > General > Program Level > Lists command > Enable the following list types (section)...

The only list type I DO NOT have checked is Lexis Nexis, all others are checked off. The Summary View I used before I replaced it with the Summary View provided by Wells Anderson, referenced some information from the Contacts database, but that is checked off in the list types as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 383

Dave, the simplest way to test this would be to enable all data types.

Steve Stockstill
Data Equity LLC
www.DataEquity.com, www.PracticeBetter.com

The Time Matters add-on developers...
MobileTM, SharpShooter, GuestOffice, GoogleConnect 4TM and OfficeManager 4TM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Hi Steve,

I enabled all the List Types at: File menu > Setup > General > Program Level > Lists command > Enable the following list types.

I then selected the Summary View as the default Power View for the Jobs list, restarted Time Matters and still didn't have a Power View for Jobs.

I then selected the Note View as the default Power View for the Jobs list, restarted Time Matters and still didn't have a Power View for Jobs.

Should I re-install Time Matters now?

Thanks

- Dave

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

What I am not clear on is this....

Can you get any powerview to show at any time in the jobs list? Or is your issue limited to showing one upon opening?  We have to isolate the issue to a powerview upon opening or the powerviews in general.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Hi Matt,

Thanks for helping.

The core problem is that I cannot get a Power View from showing up at any time in the Jobs list view.

Dave

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:19 AM

I would start by attempting 2 things:

1. Open the tutor database and see if you can open any matter powerviews.
2. I would delete all of the files in your temp directory.

You can re-install.... and run a repair install. It is not a big deal.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Hi Matt,

For some reason, your solution helped fix something. Here's what happened:

1. I opened the Time Matters - Training Mode
  2. A dialog box appeared asking me to activate Time Matters
  3. I tried on-line activation, but received an E19 error
  4. I called Tech Support, and they resolved the activation problem
  5. I opened Time Matters - Training Mode and was able to see the Power View in the Matters list view
  6. I quit the Turtor and opened the temp directory at C:\TMW9E\temp - but it was empty
  7. Finally I opened Time Matters, and the default Power View I had selected appeared in the Jobs list view - problem resolved

I appreciate everyone's help in this matter. Thank you very much!!!

Dave

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Aieeeeee! It's happening again, but now with Time Matters v10.

I have to open the Training Mode - Time Matters 10.0 to get my Power Views back. But once I'm back into my records and switch to a different list view, I lose my Power View.

Any ideas, anyone?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9

Hi all,

I've found a workaround, but the solution is less than ideal...

To review, when I select a different Quick Tab while in the Job/Matter listview, my PowerView disappears. The solution is to select a different PowerView from the drop-down menu above the list -- which causes the PowerView to re-appear, then select the PowerView I prefer -- which appears immediately.

The PowerView I prefer is a Summary view that I have modified slightly to display some additional fields from the Jobs database.

I am now running Time Matters v10 SP3 on Windows XP (current with all updates).

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS