CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Recording changes to word docs, who opened, etc.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
Jennifer Ahrens Posted: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:24 AM

Does TimeMatters have a feature that will keep track of changes to word docs, who opened the doc, etc? Something like an auditing feature that cannot be changed, etc. I think pcdocs used to have this feature where you could see everything that was done with a document from simply opening to all edits, etc

J Ahrens Collen IP Ossining, NY TimeMatters/BillingMatters 9.0 Enterprise SR3A Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 MS Office 2003 SP3
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 383

Jennifer, check your Time Matters audit options at the global and Document level. Does this do what you need?

Steve Stockstill
Data Equity LLC
www.DataEquity.com, www.PracticeBetter.com

The Time Matters add-on developers...
MobileTM, SharpShooter, GuestOffice, GoogleConnect 4TM and OfficeManager 4TM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

I started to check this out and as best I can see it just keeps track of data changes of the TimeMatters records and NOT changes that were done to a specific word document; unless I am missing something? We specifically want to be able to track who is making what changes to word documents; as well as who is opening them, etc.

J Ahrens Collen IP Ossining, NY TimeMatters/BillingMatters 9.0 Enterprise SR3A Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 MS Office 2003 SP3
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 383

Jenn, take a look at the record audit.

As a shameless plug, you can use the Data Equity History Auditor to search and print the audit history across the database.

-- 1/12/2010 at 11:51AM by TM--
    Document Opened   \\DELL-LAPTOP\files\TUTOR\Judgment to Recover NC.pdf

-- 1/12/2010 at 11:51AM by TM--
    Document Viewed   \\DELL-LAPTOP\files\TUTOR\Judgment to Recover NC.pdf

-- 1/12/2010 at 11:53AM by TM--
    Document Printed   \\DELL-LAPTOP\files\TUTOR\Judgment to Recover NC.pdf

-- 1/12/2010 at 11:53AM by TM--
    Document Submitted as Email Attachment   \\DELL-LAPTOP\files\TUTOR\Judgment to Recover NC.pdf

Steve Stockstill
Data Equity LLC
www.DataEquity.com, www.PracticeBetter.com

The Time Matters add-on developers...
MobileTM, SharpShooter, GuestOffice, GoogleConnect 4TM and OfficeManager 4TM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Time Matters can not track the actual internal changes to the word document. You could turn on track changes in Word and track changes that way.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

Thank you for the feedback!

We are checking the audit feature in TimeMatters and I see its keeping track of who opened the document, who originally added it, and who printed.

Can it keep track of someone who changed the document?

I understand that TimeMatters cannot keep track of the actual changes, but can TimeMatters audit log indicate if the document was changed at all (not just opened)?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

What you see is what you get.  As changes are made to the document itself and not Time Matters.... there is no tracking. Time Matters tracks what it does... open, create, print and email...

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

Can someone please direct me to the place in the Program Level Set up that controls what is audited on a document record? I am checking the audit tab on some of our document records and its recording who added the record and opened it but not when it was printed or sent as an email attachment.

Also, is this an "all or nothing" setting? Meaning it should audit whatever is selected all of the time? I think we are noticing some instances where it does not audit or keep track of when a documents were opened. What would cause inconsistent auditing?

thanks,

Jen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 348
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

The audit feature is controlled by the form style.  You can make a field on a form an 'auditable'  field. by right clicking on the field and selecting Customize Field and checking the Audit Field box.  The more fields you audit, the longer it will take to save the record - may not make a huge difference with SQL.   Your inconsistent auditing is probably caused because the field you think should be audited does not have that feature checked. 

Deanne Ikard Ikard Consulting Time Matters CIC Billing Matters/Billing Matters Plus CIC Time Matters Enterprise CIC LNTPA CIC PCLaw CIC 707-863-9718 Green Valley, CA Serving Northern California
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

Thanks will check this out but I am also specifically looking for the setting that controls the auditing of the document record when its opened/viewed, printed, sent as an attachment to an email. Where do I find the settings that control this? Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:19 PM

If auditing is on at the program level....then it tracks what you are looking at. You cannot alter these settings. Also it only audits the Time Matters functions. If if is a word document..and I open Word and use my recent items to open the document..it is not audited by Time Matters. So there are many instances where a document will be open, or sent as an email attachment or printed that will not be in the Time Matters audit log.

Time Matters audit = Time Matters functions.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS