CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Billing Template - Invoice history - Show only invoices with outstanding balances

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4
Fraser Page Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010 12:51 PM

Hi,

We've had trouble with some clients overpaying bills. The boss thinks it would be a good idea to have our bill refer to outstanding balances by invoice number so that it's harder to pay the same invoice twice. Makes sense.

I've added the following to a copy of our billing template. The tokens are in an Invoice History group:

"Payment on the following invoices is outstanding:

date of invoice       invoice #        amount owing on invoice        interest        total due on invoice

[AR Date]                [Inv #]               [Prnc Due]                                  [Int Due]       [Tot Due]"

It works... mostly. The problem is, it shows the entire invoice history. That ends up being a big long string of zeros. Is there any way I can only show invoices where there is an outstanding balance?

I tried putting the tokens into a conditional group. I was a bit surprised it let me do it. I wasn’t too surprised when it still showed me a whole lot of zeros though.
Your help is appreciated. PCLaw tech support wasn't able to help with this.
Thanks,
Fraser Page
Iler Campbell LLP
Toronto
PCLaw Pro v10.02b / XP Pro SP3

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4

If no one is able to provide help on this can any of you recommend somewhere I might find an answer? Another forum? Or a consultant who's good at this type of thing?

Thanks very much!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I don't think there is a way to do what you are requesting. Perhaps a different approach might work. Maybe we can find a way to make the amount owed clearer. The ideas that come to mind are

(1) Changing the font for amount owed so it stands out 

(2) Adding something at the end of the bill that states specifically what is owed. It could be something like a submit this with payment box that shows the amount due, the invoice number and a space for them to indicate payment amount enclosed

(3) A note at the top of the bill stating something like following is your invoice reflecting an amount due of $xxxx. This way they know what they need to pay before they look through the bill

(4) Not show past invoices on the bill, just balance due and generate a statement to show history.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4

Thanks very much for your help Caren. We already do your first and second suggestions. I will give your other ideas some thought.

Cheers, 

Fraser Page

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Consultant in Toronto?  Barb Brown is who we recommend and she is also part of our team on projects. She was the training manager and worked for PCLaw (before they were acquired by Lexis). You can see her bio here: http://www.bblawinc.ca/Biography.aspx

To look at your question though, there are a few variables that anyone would need to know. If this billing for 1 matter where they have multiple outstanding invoices? If it billing for the client and you are billing many matter? Do you use the Client Summary? Do invoices age for very long or is it the pay a bit slowly so their payment and your next bill pass in the "mail"?

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4

We bill by client. For some clients we have many matters. Where there are outstanding invoices it is often the case that there are multiple outstanding invoices.

We don't use the client summary. I'm not really clear on what the benifit of this would be.

You asked: Do invoices age for very long or is it the pay a bit slowly so their payment and your next bill pass in the "mail"?

It's a bit of both. Some invoices age for a very long time. Other times a payment and a bill might pass in the mail.

I hope I've answered your questions satisfactorily. Thanks for your help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

The client summary is a listing of all matters within the client and a synopsis of the amounts billed and total owing. You can add this to any bill run on the options tab of billing. There is a default client summary but it can be customized.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS