LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

PC Law Version 10 & Windows Server 2008 64bit

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8
Diago Fernandes Posted: Tue, Feb 23 2010 7:43 AM

Currently I am using PC Law 9.31c Pro Enterprise edition installed on Windows 2003 SP2 server and I intend to move PC Law to brand new server which I intend to use Windows 2008 64bit.

Can someone let me know if I can successfully shift my data (with usuall guidelines from PC Law) from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 64 bit and Install PC Law Pro version 10?

Will I face limitations in installing PC Law on Windows 2008 64bit? (note we do work on PC Law on server but rather of different workstation having Windows XP Professional installed. What does PC Law mean when it says "only core functionalities" will be working on PC Law installed on Windows 2008 64 bit? Is it okay for me to Install PC Law V 10 and move data (from PC Law V 9.31c ?)

Many Thanks.

Diago Fernandes IT Administrator Bin Shabib & Associates (BSA) LLP Building# 3, Level 6, Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) PO Box 262, Dubai, UAE T +9714 368 5555 (ext 239). PC Law Enterprise Pro V 10.03a

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 213
.CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

What does PC Law mean when it says "only core functionalities" will be working on PC Law installed on Windows 2008 64 bit?

You do NOT want to make the transfer. Most of the functionality in PCLaw will not be available in 64-bit. You would be better off creating a 32-bit virtual drive and installing PCLaw on it.

Steve Miller, JD
Certified Independent Consultant

LexisNexis: Total Practice Advantage® | PCLaw® | Time Matters Enterprise®
Philadelphia PA Metro area and SNJ
www.lawbill.com
"Home of Free Online Training"

steve@lawbill.com
609-313-0988

Twitter: LawBill

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8

Thanks Steve.

I would rather install Windows 2008 32bit. However what do I have to know if I want to transfer data from existing PC Law Pro 9.31c to an new installation of PC Law Pro 10. With this I mean, does the data structure (folders) remain the same and how do I re-connect the SQL database back to the new installation?

In short, what do I have to know before I can Install PC Law Pro 10 on a brand new server and transfer the data from old server to new server (along with SQL database). When do I attache the SQL database, before or after the installation and data transfer? Many Thanks.

Diago Fernandes IT Administrator Bin Shabib & Associates (BSA) LLP Building# 3, Level 6, Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) PO Box 262, Dubai, UAE T +9714 368 5555 (ext 239). PC Law Enterprise Pro V 10.03a

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 213
.CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Full SQL should already exist on the new server before running the V10 install and you need to know the SQL User/Password.

I would do a V9 install onto the new server first, so you can point to it during the V10 install.

There is no extra work needed on your part. Just run the V10 Install file and follow the directions.

Steve Miller, JD
Certified Independent Consultant

LexisNexis: Total Practice Advantage® | PCLaw® | Time Matters Enterprise®
Philadelphia PA Metro area and SNJ
www.lawbill.com
"Home of Free Online Training"

steve@lawbill.com
609-313-0988

Twitter: LawBill

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS