CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Way to preview documents without actually opening them in their native application?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
Jennifer Ahrens Posted: Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:24 AM

Hi, Does anyone know if either TimeMatters or some third party plugin can give you the ability to preview the contents of a document without actually having to open it in its native application? We are specifically looking for MS Word, MS Excel and PDF files as those are the vast majority of document types we have in TimeMatters. It woudl be cool if there was a powerview that would allow you to preview the documents. Any help is appreciated.

J Ahrens Collen IP Ossining, NY TimeMatters/BillingMatters 9.0 Enterprise SR3A Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 MS Office 2003 SP3
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 174
.CIC
TM CIC

When viewing a a list of document records in Time Matters right click and selcct 'view file' or 'view document'.

Tom Caffrey, CIC (Moderator)
President, Premier Software
Tele: 856-429-3010
Web: www.premiersoftware.com
DEVELOPER - WealthData for  Estates and Elder Law; CivilData for Litigation Feature
Home of SOS: Small Office Server, a subscription based server for small law firms

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

Does this only work for MS office files? I am getting a debugger / runtime error when I try to "view" PDFs.

J Ahrens Collen IP Ossining, NY TimeMatters/BillingMatters 9.0 Enterprise SR3A Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 MS Office 2003 SP3
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

It works with pdf files. Make sure you can open pdf files on that computer, perhaps you have several version of adobe reader? Although invaluable in the office, we experience various issues with Adobe Acrobat in particular the full version.

In the alternative, a document previewer is slated to ship in our 7 Second System Plugins for Time Matters as part of our Matter - document view. The document preview is not into production yet, but our plugins have been in use for some time with hundreds of users.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99

I can definitely open up PDF files on my computer; I do though have both Reader 9 and Adobe Acrobat 6 Standard.

Can you let me know when this product ships? We would be very interested in it!

Plus, do you offer assistance with "best practices" for creating documents in TimeMatters? see my other post: We are starting to use Merge Templates more which is helpful but we continue to have an issue with setting the proper and consistent codes, date and document description for the document records as we create them.  How can we use TimeMatters to streamline and standardize the creation of document records?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

The 7 Second Plug-Ins have been announced. An example of the preview window for documents is included in the document demonstration video. It can be seen here:

http://7secondsystem.com/plugin.html 

If is at the 3 minute mark of the document video.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS