LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Document record

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 16
Steven McLean Posted: Tue, Apr 13 2010 5:52 PM

Is there any method of passing the Classification code from the Matter record to the classification code for the document record. Field matching does not seem to work.

Steven McLean

Cook & Company

Steven McLean

Cook & Company - Barristers and Solicitors

Brampton, ON

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 174
.CIC
TM CIC

In the document record, from the matter field select field customization / set field links / field  matching you can match the matter classification code to a user field, but you're right you can't match to the doc classification code.

Tom Caffrey, CIC (Moderator)
President, Premier Software
Tele: 856-429-3010
Web: www.premiersoftware.com
DEVELOPER - WealthData for  Estates and Elder Law; CivilData for Litigation Feature
Home of SOS: Small Office Server, a subscription based server for small law firms

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 16

I am able to link to a user filed, but wanted to fill the class code.  Is there any way to use a token to default the class code on i auto entry form?

Steven McLean

Brampton, ON

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 174
.CIC
TM CIC

Yes it can be done using a trigger.  This is a bit convoluted but it works.

If the document record matter field were mapped to return the matter code into the document record user field, then you would create a trigger that uses 'when record added, field is changed to x (where x=the specific code in the user field), then when the document record is saved you can have the action of the trigger enter the x code in the classification code field. This approach would require one trigger per code.  (You have to save and close and then re-open to see the code in the record. )

Tom Caffrey, CIC (Moderator)
President, Premier Software
Tele: 856-429-3010
Web: www.premiersoftware.com
DEVELOPER - WealthData for  Estates and Elder Law; CivilData for Litigation Feature
Home of SOS: Small Office Server, a subscription based server for small law firms

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:39 AM

I think the question to ask is... why do you want every document on a matter to have the same code as the Matter?  That would effectively take away every use of the document code, except being able to search for Matter code on the document list. If you want to do that task, it can be accomplished by searching the user field.

Tom's solution would work on add, but you also have to worry about the Matter code changing..don't you? If that is a concern, then you have to create another trigger that works on change AND when you change a Matter code, you have to open and close each document record to get it to update the code field. So all in all, I am not sure that is what you are looking to do but perhaps...

So is there a larger question yo uare trying to answer?

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 16

Hi Matt, I understand what you are saying.  What I am trying to do is find a method to filter or limit the DOC Types (Class Codes) based on the type of law. 

Steven McLean

Brampton, ON

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

One of those questions that we have all dealt with for a long time. Classification code lists are program wide. In general I only have 2 suggestions:

1. The code list has to be self explanatory. If a user has to stop and think about the code...the firm should re-think the code. You also have to be as generic as possible and train the users the methodology.  As an example: CLIE for client docs - could mean many things...the documents the client brings into the office. It has application in many areas of law.

2. We have developed additional functionality in Time Matters, we call the 7 Second Plug-Ins. We have a document plugin. One of the features is - quick filter. With a single click you can filter the list of documents in the powerview in anyway. We ship by default using code. A single click gives you a list of all of the documents with that code.  In the design is the ability to extend this functionality to different fields...the user fields. We can create form styles for different codes (in your instance a type of law) that give you drop down lists to pick from (in your instance the codes for the documents). Our QuickFilter can then allow you to filter by that user field (for you the codes).  Our approach to the Plug-Ins and Time Matters is first and foremost...making Time Matters easy to use, easy to learn and easy to support. We add additional functionality to Time Matters where it is necessary to further these goals. Allowing documents to have sub-codes is one of those things we envision.

You can see a demo here, although the QuickFilter uses Code in the video: http://7secondsystem.com/plugin.html

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 961
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Steve ... unfortunately, there is one set of class codes, regardless of Case type. We've seen this problem with larger firms, and especially those that are more heterogeneous in their areas of practice. How we've been attacking it lately is through the use of AutoEntry forms. When a document is added, have the person choose the appropriate AEForm for the type of document that they want. Then, the code is selected via the AEForm which can be tucked into a practice specific folder. So, if I am in the PI group, I add the document, press the AEForm, and the PI folder is open showing me the types of documents that are for PI. If I am in the Real Estate group, my AEForm folder is open to the Real Estate folder. In this manner, you are setting up sub-code lists using the AEForms.

You can make it even more automated by creating Triggers for every AEForm. These too can be divided into practice area folders. Now, add the Trigger button to your Matter/Case toolbar. When you press it, you will have a list that pops up with the types of documents available to the PI, Real Estate, etc., group, and when they select the Trigger the document is added with the AEForm automatically applied. We've been using this method for years - we call it an Action List - and it will help you get as close to a set of document sublists as you are going to get.

Good luck.

Thomas L. Rowe, Esq. (Tom)
CIC/Forum Administrator
For Time Matters information, Utilities and Practice Area Templates, visit us at: OTB Consulting

2009, 2010, 2012 LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS