CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Removing Document Codes - What happens to previous files/cases/codes?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 27
Dario Diaz Posted: Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:22 AM

I have a document code created long ago, lets call it "LETT" for letters.  Now that I am going paperless I want to break all incoming documents into INCM for incoming letters and OUT for outgoing letters.  I want to actually remove the LETT code from the document options.  I don't want my staff being able to use the code LETT any longer.

If I just remove the code LETT from the Document Template, what will happen to all of my previous documents which are coded LETT?

Dario D. Diaz, Esquire The Law Office of Dario Diaz, P.A. Tampa, Florida: TM 10: MacBook Pro (Parallels WinXP); Small Business Server 2003

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6

Any time a classification code has been used the program wont let you change it or delete it.  Now if you have it as part of an auto entry form you can change the code without effecting your existing documents.  If you want to remove the code all together from the application you will have to do a mass change to the existing documents to change the classification codes.  This is easy to do, tag the records that you are looking to change, choose the drop down arrow next the the process records button and choose change records.  That will bring up a wizard and walk you through the process step by step.

Jennifer Rathbun

BTF Services, 7 Second System, Lighthouse Consulting Technolgies

jennifer@7secondsystem.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 27
Dario Diaz replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 10:26 AM

Thanks.  I also found that I could make a code "inactive" which would leave all of the previous document records intact, and would prevent any future documents from using that code.  The inactive method will work better for me, but it's nice to know about the auto-entry form.

Dario D. Diaz, Esquire The Law Office of Dario Diaz, P.A. Tampa, Florida: TM 10: MacBook Pro (Parallels WinXP); Small Business Server 2003

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS