LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

QBE 10 TM11 field mapping

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
Roland A. Vierra Posted: Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:06 PM

Hi All:  Is there a way to field map invoice data being sent to QuickBooks (QB Enterprise, v. 10)?  I need to get my Matter Reference info into a Quickbooks field and I'm not having any luck.  Would be nice if I could get MAT:MAT_REF to QB PO field or QB Reference field

Thanks

Roland

Roland A. Vierra

Flooring Forensics

San Jose, California

Roland A. Vierra Flooring Forensics San Jose CA Candid observation & comment on all floor covering issues, problems & complaints!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

Are you sending invoices, (which sends AR allocations), or billing items to QuickBooks?  During the matching process, you can indicate which fields go where.  Typically the 'Customer' field in QuickBooks inherits the matter reference in Time Matters.  However, you may find the field size in QB is shorter than that in Time Matters.  If you are doing your billing records in Time Matters, and sending them to QB for billing, the process is quite different than if you are doing your billing in TM and sending invoices to QB.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6

Hi Kathy:  I was so happy to get your reply to my post I almost started to cry.  Figuratively, that is!

I create invoices in TM11, and then I send those invoices to QB Enterprise 10.  It is in QB that I receive payments and print aging reports.  And it is in QB that I cannot locate the MAT:MAT_REF data attached to any given invoice.  My life would instantly and immediately become so much easier if I could just get that bit of information into QB, and then from QB into a QB report.

The reason I need that information is simple enough:  I print a report of past due invoices and I email that report to the service that helps me collect payments.  She calls a past due account and the first thing they ask is "what matter/project/PO/authorization are you talking about".  Without the MAT:MAT_REF on her report, she's dead in the water . . .  she's got nothing.

So that's where I'm at and that's what I'm looking for.  Can you help??

Roland

Roland A. Vierra Flooring Forensics San Jose CA Candid observation & comment on all floor covering issues, problems & complaints!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Can't map to the QB PO field or Reference field. You can only map to the Name and Address fields.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

If each matter is linked to QB, how is it the mat_ref is not in the customer field? When you are in QB, and you go to each customer, do you see the invoices sent from TM? Seems to me, you should be able to get a report from QB of the balance due by customer or by client.  If so, that report can be exported as a spreadsheet and provided to your collector. I wish I had more experience with sending invoices to QB. My limited memory is that only staff allocations are passed over when 'sending' invoices.  BUT, even at that, it seems to me a report can be generated from TM.  When an invoice is 'paid' in QB, why not archive it in TM.  Then only the invoices on the active list will be outstanding and a report can be developed.  Only problem would be if bills are partially paid.

I truly would need to get eyes-on your situation to know what to suggest.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

The link between Time Matters/Billing Matters sends customer, company, contact information and address. You can make the customer be the Time Matters matter reference, provided it is not too long for QuickBooks rules. 

Because you are asking about invoice data, I take it that you are not using Billing Matters but are sending time over to QuickBooks to create invoices there but the link fields are basically the same.

Customers do not show on invoices in QuicKBooks but Jobs do.  When you go to create the link in Time Matters create it as customer:Job. In other words, if you want to have a matter reference Miami Marine in QuicKBooks, you would create it as something like "Miami:Miami Marine". The colon indicates that this is a customer job. In QuickBooks the project/job field can show on the invoice.

If you need more assistance in any of the setup on either side, I would suggest you work with a consultant who is Certified in both Time Matters and QuickBooks. 

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS