LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Is Billing Matters Approriate??

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
Roland A. Vierra Posted: Sat, Oct 8 2011 2:35 PM

Hi All:  All I want to do is keep track of invoices I've sent out and those that remain unpaid - simple AR function, maybe keep track of monthly deposits.  No worries about retainers, trusts, I'm straight cash-basis.

Is Billing Matters the most appropriate for me - I'm frustrated with QB because some data that I need on the invoice side (like MAT:MAT_REF doesn't forward over to QB.

Thanks

Roland

Roland A. Vierra Flooring Forensics San Jose CA Candid observation & comment on all floor covering issues, problems & complaints!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Billing Matters is much better than QuickBooks for doing your billing in my opinion, especially if you use Time Matters. For starters you can generate bills for lots of clients at once much more easily. Also more customization capability on the invoice.

You can track AR in Billing Matters and then just send over the payment information to QuickBooks and keep QuickBooks on a cash basis.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6

Hi Caren - Thanks for your reply.  I'm in agreement.  I do my billing and invoicing through TM 11, then "send" the invoices to QB.  My problem is I really need the data contained within the description field of the invoice to make the trip to QB and it doesn't.  The result is when I send a receivables aging report to my assistant, she can call the client to collect but when the client says "what was the invoice for" she doesn't have a clue because that bit of info (taken from MAT:MAT_REF) doesn't make the trip.  Within my business, MAT:MAT_REF is the ultimate job designation/authorization.  So I can get that information onto the invoice generated through TM 11 - it just doesn't show up in any field of QB (and I've looked through them all!).

I've been getting so frustrated that I was wondering if Basic Billing would accept cash paid against an invoice and if so, maybe I could just get my minimal reporting needs through Basic Billing though in reality, I'd rather send to QB and continue on that way.

Any thoughts?

Roland

Roland A. Vierra Flooring Forensics San Jose CA Candid observation & comment on all floor covering issues, problems & complaints!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I think basic billing will make you more frustrated. 

I wonder why your assistant is not accessing the AR information from within Time Matters/Billing Matters? To me that would be the most efficient mechanism. In addition you can print your AR report directly from Time Matters/Billing Matters

35-45 Consulting

Southport, CT

203-254-7736

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6

I'm a one-man office - what I do is print an AR report and email it to her - she then uses that report to follow up on those wonderful folks that have somehow forgotten to pay.  So she doesn't have time matter available to her.  It would just be nice for her to have all pertinent data on a single report.

I'm unclear when you say print AR report from Time Matters - as it is now, the aging and all is done in QB, or am I missing something so fundamental that I will soon be looking like a moron??

Roland

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

It sounds like you are not recording your payments in Billing Matters. If that is the case then you can't run a report in Billing Matters. However, you could be recording payments in Billing Matters and then running an Aged AR report in Time Matters/Billing Matters. 

You would then only need to send information to QuickBooks on a cash basis. You can continue to put information into QuickBooks on an accrual basis if you want, just make sure you match each payment to the invoice. 

35-45 Consulting

Southport, CT

203-254-7736

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS