LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Automatically generate letters

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12
Merv Miller Posted: Tue, Jan 3 2012 11:59 PM

Is there a way to have a letter autormatically generated when an apppointment event record is added? 

In a recent article in NAELA news Tom Caffrey makes reference to this capability.  I assume this is done by a trigger.  However, under Trigger Action the only action I see that even comes close is "launch a program."  I can see that I could get Word Perfect launched, but how would I get a letter created from that action?  

Merv (Merwyn J.) Miller Estate Planning, Trust, & Probate Attorney Encinitas, CA 92024 760-436-8832 Fax 815-346-5375
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
.CIC
BM CIC
HD CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

You are on the right path.  Rather than "Launch a Program" choose to add a record.  Then choose Document as your record type.  From then have your autoentry form link to Formattable Clipboard, Merge or a HotDocs template to create your document.

Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12

Ok sounds good.  But on the autoentry form how do we "link" to the clipboard/merge/hotdoc template?

I have created the autoentry form.  I see in area #4 where I can select any of the three you mention.  I have selected merge and generate and then selected the particular template.

But when I save the autoentry form, that selection does not save with it. Is it supposed to?  Instead, the document form comes up (that's good) with the merge and generate buttons depressed in area 4 along with the data source.  But not the template.  And, of course, nothing happens as it waits for human intervention.

Thanks.

Merv (Merwyn J.) Miller Estate Planning, Trust, & Probate Attorney Encinitas, CA 92024 760-436-8832 Fax 815-346-5375
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
.CIC
BM CIC
HD CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Have you tried to click on the Template tab and see if you template is selected?  if it is not selected  then try re-creating your autoentry form again.  A human interaction is required even with a fully functioning trigger and autoentry form.  You must click on "Merge" button to complete the merge process and follow the prompts.

Ardavan Gurg
Seattle
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS