LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Classification codes disappear after crash

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 11
renne2001 Posted: Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:36 PM

I am still using TM6. I have TM10 waiting to be implemented, but I keep making excuses. Anyway, I had a TM crash yesterday. I rebooted the program and it all looked OK. I wanted to save a phone message. I clicked on the phone tab on the case form. The first code on the list is normally 'misc call'. I was very surprised to see the 'case'  codes populating the 'phone' message codes list. I then looked at all the tabs on a 'case' form and saw all the codes were the same; they were all classification codes for case type.

The first thing I did was reindex, which didn't help. I had 2 people mention to me they thought TM was somewhat slower than usual before the crash. It took longer to save documents, etc. I have my previous day's backup and I have restored databases before, but not for this type of error. The thing that bothers me is not knowing what to rebuild. I've never had to do that before. If I look at the codes list in setup for each type of form, they are all there unchanged.

If the restore doesn't work the way I expect, I can do a clean install of TM6 on a different machine and restore the database there see if that restores normally. If so, problem solved. The other possibility is finally putting our new MS 2008 server, an HP Proliant 350G5 in service. It's been sitting there for some time. TM10 is already installed - it just isn't in service yet. I would like to know if I can just restore the V6 database to the server running V10 or would it be better to convert V6 to V10, backup the now V10 database and restore that on the server. I think I can recall a CIC telling me I didn't have to convert first, but my memory is not what is used to be.

I had planned to spend the day preparing old files for destruction, always fun, but I guess I'll keep my IT hat ready to go, just in case. I used to really like this kind of challenge, but so much anymore.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Diane St James

Casper Law - P O Box 1441 - Fond du Lac, WI  54936 - 920 922-3355

Diane St James Casper Law P O Box 1441 Fond du Lac WI 54936 920 922-3355
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

Diane;  My first question was going to be whether your version 6 is pro or enterprise, but, really it doesn't matter.  Reinstallation of the program files will probably not correct this problem as my hunch is that it is data related.  Could you be running out of space on the drive where the data is stored?  I have seen odd behavior when the tables get over-sized or over-crowded.

Is the virus scanning software, if any, excluding the Time Matters program file and data folder?

The rebuild, if you have it, indicates a professional version of the software.  The file you would rebuild is 'Codes'.  There are other tools available to you if the rebuild does not work, but I would strongly suggest you call your CIC rather than use these tools yourself, at least for the first time.

Make sure you have a good backup and that NO ONE is in the program while you run a re-index or re-build of a table.  That would make things worse.

And you will need to convert your data to version 10, particularly because 10 is only released in SQL and not pro, but there is an import feature in version 10 that will start that conversion of your current version 6 data for you; no need to reinstall 10.  You can move your Time Matters 6 Data and files folders to the new server, and use that import feature from within version 10.  You then need to install version 10 program files to each workstation.  But I would attempt to correct the data before doing the import.  Others may have very different opinions, so you might await other replies.

Best of luck. ~ Kathy

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 11
renne2001 replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 3:56 PM

Kathy,

Thanks for your reply. I just came home from the office after the first go-round. I had to stop for a Snickers. It is Pro as you could see. The size could be a possibility - I'll check it tomorrow. I had disconnected Threat Fire, AVG and Zone Alarm.

I make sure everyone was shut out when I'm fooling with this. I'm happy to see it's sounds like V10 makes it easier to convert. We all got new workstations when we got the server and I was ready to go, but we decided to recable to Cat 6 and install a GB router. Then we got really busy and I had to put this on the back burner. I actually thought it might work this AM, but now I have the Dynazip error. I have done the things recommended on the forum to no avail. I did upzip the backup manually to look at it and it looks fine. I'm going to do some more research this aft, but I might try a run at rebuilding the codes file tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Diane St James

Casper Law - P O Box 1441 - Fond du Lac, WI  54936

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

If you are finally going to move forward with the upgrade, might as well move to version 11.  If you let your AMP expire, you will not be able to activate the registration if you have to create a new database, so I am glad you did install it and activate it already.   If the new server is in place, and the workstations can connect to it, you can move your Time Matters 6 data and files folders to the new server and then update the 'files location' for your users.  Be sure the folders are fully shared. I am POSITIVE you will find the SQL database much more sure-footed than professional, particularly for larger databases.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5

Diane - 

Be sure that your data files are not corrupted before you import.  Corrupted data will not import.  It is pretty easy to clean up the data but it can be time consuming. Feel free to email me and I can explain the steps to make sure your data is all there.

Jennifer Rathun

jennifer@7secondsystem.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 11

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. The data from the 24th was more damaged than I thought. I did have a backup from the 23rd which was the day before the crash, but since I wanted to implement v.10 finally, I wanted to import the backup data to v.10. I wasn't sure it was do-able but Wells gave me advice on doing just that. It seems to have worked. I looked around for about an hour Friday night and so far so good. Next week will tell the real story when other people begin looking at their data, but I'm optimistic.

Regards,

Diane St James

Casper Law, P O Box 1441, Fond du Lac  WI  54936 - 920 922-3355

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS