CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Fee Allocation

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC
Gerri Martin Posted: Tue, Jun 26 2012 5:58 PM

My client wants two different types of fee allocations.  One is the Matter Introducing Attorney.  That attorney gets 30% of fees.  Then we want to allocate the remaining 70% among the working attorneys.  The catch is that the percent they receive is not based on their proportionate share of the bill but rather by the classification.  For example, if you are a working partner, you get 20% of the 70%, if you are an associate you get 30% of the 70%, and paralegals get 20% of the 70%.

I cannot figure out a way to do this in PC Law.  Any suggestions.

Gerri Lynn Martin, CPA, MPM Software Analysis Corporation
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
.CIC
BM CIC
HD CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Most likely, you have to use a third party reporting program such as SQL Reporting Services.  I have written compensation reports for law firms and your criteria is pretty straight forward.

Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
206.923.8897
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com


Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
206.923.8897
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 12:54 PM

Geri. 

You have looked at the 2 areas that may provide you a solution. In the Matter Manager-Billing tab-Split Lawyer Charges.  You can assign percentages and do the math of 20% of 70% to get the percentage of the total amount.

Also don't forget that fee allocations are set at the time of billing. While you are preparing a bill, you set how the fees will allocate. This can be left alone and it will automatically do it for you or you can change those allocations to be anyway that you want. We typically do this by having the fee allocations appear on the pre-bill worksheet. The responsible attorney sets the allocations of that bill, signs off and gives the pre-bill worksheet to the person that is going to create the bill. That billing person changes the fee allocations as the bill is created. Don't under estimate the power of this as you can create any kind of allocations a firm may want or need and it allows for as many exceptions as you want. It is important though that the billing person is properly trained as that create bill function is vital to understanding the fee allocations.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

Thanks Matt,  I did look at that but because the client has 2000 matters, changing the allocation on a one by one basis each time doesn't seem to be a practical solution.  The Timekeepers working on the matter will change from bill to bill.  I believe we are going to write a report to do the allocation but I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to do it within the program.

Gerri Lynn Martin, CPA, MPM Software Analysis Corporation
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS