Record deleted by another station

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 28
Richard J Erickson Posted: Thu, Oct 25 2012 3:00 PM

I'm trying to help a user with a tricky problem. Here is his description:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

"When I go to save either a document or an email to TM, the screen pops up and I'm allowed to fill everything in, but when I hit Save & Close, I get a message that says deleted by another.  It won't let me save, and I ultimately have to just close out without saving.  Sometimes exiting TM and restarting it fixes the problem.  Other times, I have to restart my computer completely.  It happens at least once a day and seems to be increasing again."

Any ideas?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

I have found that this often happens when a computer gets "disconnected" from the server. This can be just a brief disconnect, often caused by the network adapter going to sleep. Make sure the power management on the network adapter is turned off.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

90% of the time, this is not a tricky Time Matters issue. It is a SQL connectivity issue. When the desktop application Time Matters is not able to save a record to the SQL server, the error you receive is the record has already been deleted.

9% of the time it is a data issue in your sql tables. When you add a record Time Matters creates in essence an empty row in SQL. When you press save and close, it updates that row. If it cannot find the right row to update ,it thinks it has been deleted. It can be that you have many half added records and Time Matters does not know which one to pick.

1% of the time, someone has deleted the record.

Issue #1 - is network related and judging by your other question about saving documents, I think you have a setup/network issue floating around. It sounds like you either have different drive mappings/names or you do not have the rights correct on the shared drive.

Issue #2 is easily seen and fixed by SharpShooter. See www.dataequity.com

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 28

Thanks Caren. There is some evidence at this client that there is some type of TM network connectivity issue as periodically everyone gets kicked out for no apparent reason. The local I/T guys are looking at the relevant infrastructure / network as a potential culprit, as I understand that even a brief disconnect to the server will cause an unnatural logoff for everyone connected. Sound familiar?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 28

Thanks Matt. Assuming this client isn't running database maintenance on a regular basis, is that an appropriate next step in your view?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Database maintenance does not deal with partially added records and hence does not solve the issue. If you know sql enough you can find them with a query (and an assumption that no one is presently using the database). 

Network issues and Time Matters crashing when records have not been completely added...cause this issue. It is the first test listed in the health section for sharpshooter:

http://www.dataequity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=157

Network loss of connection does not cause everyone to be logged out of Time Matters. They would get a database error message and a prompt to rebuild. Network issues and someone logging on can cause everyone to be kicked out of Time Matters. I would contact support. They should know what Time Matters does to try to deal with crashing issues. In general, Time Matters tries to keep track of the unique address of the user, so when a user logs on and it is the same unique address, Time Matters assumes it is the same user and will clear the other logon.

I hope the network is a LAN with nothing fancy added. Sounds to me like there is something not standard or off the shelf.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 28

Thanks Matt.

I'm pretty sure support said that a failure, even a brief one, in connectivity to the TM database will cause users to get logged off, but let me confirm.

But in terms of the "record has been deleted" error the user sees, it is most likely caused by something preventing the TM app from connecting to the SQL db and not by someone deleting the record. Is there logging somewhere that would confirm this or a monitor that would effectively alert on this condition?

Your feedback appreciated and I owe you a virtual beer.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS