LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

"Review" and "Post"

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Duy Thai Posted: Sat, Sep 16 2006 12:17 AM
When I go to Create Bills, there's a little blue message on the pop-up box saying "there is currently 1 bill in review that has not been posted."  It doesn't say which bill, where "review" is, and how I review it.

When I go to Post or Undo Bills, it shows a bill under a current matter and says "Bills should be posted when they have been reviewed for accuracy."  Again, it doesn't say how or where I should be "review" this mystery bill.  There is no referenced invoice number.

When I go to the AR tab of the referenced matter, there is no unaccounted for bill.

When I go to the Invoice List, I cannot tell which of these are supposed to be "reviewed" or "posted."  There is a gap in the invoice listing, but I cannot tell if this is the missing bill under "review."

What, if anything, should I do?
Duy Thai San Francisco TM/BM+
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Do you use bill flow manager? If so, check there. There is a tab for "under review".

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Duy Thai replied on Wed, Oct 11 2006 3:51 AM
I am trying to process a payment and cannot find the invoice to which it relates.  I believe this may be the invoice mysteriously in "review."  I still cannot find this invoice and therefore cannot do anything with the payment.  I have not used the BillFlow Manager (having never been able to figure out how to use it or what it's for), but when I went in, I did not find anything under the "In Review" or "In Final Review" tabs.  My experience with BM+ tells me that "posting" and "review" are critical steps, but I simply have no idea what it means in this context or where my invoice has been exiled to.

Is there any reference that explains these critical processes - "posting" and "review"?
Duy Thai San Francisco TM/BM+
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 220
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Duy,

You can view your Bills in Final Review from the Main Toolbar, click on Billing>Post or Undo Bills. Bills that are under Review will appear in this screen as well as the BillFlow as Caren described. At the bottom of this screen, you have the option to Post or Undo bills. Tag the record(s) and click Undo to undo your bills or Post to post the bills.

Below you will find brief definitions of the Billing Matters terms you mentioned:

Final Review: Bills that have had a Pre-bill run and possibly need additional review/changes to the bill. The Final Review status changes these bill slips from WIP to reviewing status.
Post bill: processes WIP (unbilled billing slips) and includes these slips on a Bill, which creates an AR. Transactions such as payments can then be posted/applied towards this AR.
Undo bill: Undoing a Bill cancels the billing process for this Invoice/Bill and places all slips back into WIP. This terminates the Final Review process of the Invoice/Bill.

I hope this provides clarification.

Best regards,

Lisa Zurcher
Time Matters & Billing Matters CIC
Systematized Office Solutions, LLC
Denver, CO    ||  Sacramento, CA
303.478.9188  ||  916.663.6359

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
Robin replied on Wed, Jan 31 2007 6:15 PM

First off, Duy, I hope your mystery has been solved.  If it has not, I recall something like that happening to me.  It was quite a while ago, but I believe that by re-creating the invoice, all was solved.  I believe (but am not quite sure yet, it may have been a coincidence) that upgrading of Service Releases may delete invoices being held for posting.  I have had this happen before but I did not realize until yesterday that that may be why invoices being held for posting sometimes disappear.  I will be asking our Administrator to check for to see if I have invoices in review before updating and making a list before program updates.

And secondly, Caren, Lisa or anyone else, is there a way to print a list of unposted invoices being held for review (no, I don't used Bill Flow Manager)?  The reason I would want a list of these is so that if our program is being updated, the Administrator doing it can print a list before proceeding with the update; that way, if the invoices disappear, I'll know what needs to be re-created.

Thank you for your thoughts and/or direction on this.

Robin Burlinski, Bookkeeper
Cooper & Forbes, Painesville, Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 961
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC
C&F-Robin:
First off, Duy, I hope your mystery has been solved.  If it has not, I recall something like that happening to me.  It was quite a while ago, but I believe that by re-creating the invoice, all was solved.  I believe (but am not quite sure yet, it may have been a coincidence) that upgrading of Service Releases may delete invoices being held for posting.  I have had this happen before but I did not realize until yesterday that that may be why invoices being held for posting sometimes disappear.  I will be asking our Administrator to check for to see if I have invoices in review before updating and making a list before program updates.

And secondly, Caren, Lisa or anyone else, is there a way to print a list of unposted invoices being held for review (no, I don't used Bill Flow Manager)?  The reason I would want a list of these is so that if our program is being updated, the Administrator doing it can print a list before proceeding with the update; that way, if the invoices disappear, I'll know what needs to be re-created.

I will leave the BM issues to others, but it is important to know that updating TM/BM with a service release is not designed to delete anything. The only thing I can think of that is remotely similar is that the Recycle Bin doesn't come over when you go from one version to another. If you have had this problem in the past, or have it again in the future, please contact technical support.

Thomas L. Rowe, Esq. (Tom)
CIC/Forum Administrator
For Time Matters information, Utilities and Practice Area Templates, visit us at: OTB Consulting

2009, 2010, 2012 LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
The only way I can think of to get a list of bills waiting to be posted is to go to bills - post or undo bills and do a print screen of the list. If you have a lot of bills waiting to be posted then you may have to scroll down and do several screen shots.
Although I have not specifically tested it, I am fairly certain that I have installed service releases when bills were waiting to be posted and have not had a problem.  If you notice this behavior in the future you might check with technical support. You might also consider setting up security to limit who can post or undo bills to make sure it is not accidental human intervention.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
Robin replied on Thu, Feb 1 2007 6:21 PM

Thank you.  I will ask our Administrator to let me know before she does her next Service Release update so that I can create an invoice that is being held pending posting.  That we can can test to see if that is it.

I will also look into restrictions on who can post/unpost pending invoices.

Once again, thank you all for your assistance.

Robin Burlinski, Bookkeeper
Cooper & Forbes, Painesville, Ohio

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS