LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Check designer

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
jkdeaton Posted: Tue, Sep 26 2006 4:50 PM

A part of my practice involves handling traffic tickets.  In collecting payment for my representation, I also collect an amount for court costs and fines to deposit in trust.  As it is my understanding that trust checks cannot be written for multiple matters to pay a third party (in this case, the Clerk of Court), my procedure is to write a check from my operating account to the Clerk, then automatically apply A/R from trust account to my operating account for re-imbursement.  In writing the operating account check to the Clerk of Court, included are the court costs and fines for several clients.  How do I customize the check design so that it prints the matter information and amount on the voucher for record keeping.   I am using Center Check with 2 vouchers as the default layout.  I appreciate anyone who can help me with this.

John K. Deaton; Law Office of John K. Deaton; 323 N. Main Street; Troy, NC 27371; (910) 576-3999; johnkdeaton@earthlink.net

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

There may be an easier way, but here's what I do, when I'm using my operating account. From the vendor or the payables list, I create a separate payable for the Clerk of Court for each matter. In the memo field of each payable (the top memo) I enter the name of the matter. At the same time, I select a billing code and charge the cost to the matter. Use the memo field on the bottom area to enter the description of the expense item. (Payable memo will say 'Able, Barry ticket number 111'. Bottom memo will say 'Clerk of Traffic Court'.) Then select all the payables to print checks. (Pay vendors, select the clerk, and the payables will be listed.) Then print the checks. The memo area from the payables will be on the stubs. Even checks to the same vendor print separately when using the fund account, but, you're right, applying funds to AR automatically will easily reimburse the operating account, and there's a nice clear trail.

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS