LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

xml support not detected error

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 0
fulg2 Posted: Fri, Jun 1 2007 5:31 AM
When trying to run a newly-installed PC Law on a second machine, I get the error "XML support not detected.  Please install Microsoft's XML V3 or V4 support."

I tried to update the msxml  4.0
service pack 2, but I get an error telling me that I already have a higher version on the machine. 

PC law works on two other machines, which seem to have the same msxml files on them. 

Anybody know specifically what xml file PC law is looking for?

Tom Fulghum
Durham, NC
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 27
.CIC
PCL CIC

Tom,

I'm pretty sure that PCLaw relies on XML 4.0. Your workstation may have a higher version of XML.  The USUAL recommendation is to go to START: RUN and browse to \\SERVER\LexisNexis\Common\Install\Setup.exe.  Then put a space after Setup.EXE and type FORCEXML.  (note your Common folder location may vary depending upon your server's set up).  If that doesn't resolve the problem, you may need to contact a local CIC or LNPCLaw support at 800-387-9785.  Good luck!

Steven J. Best, Esq. HotDocs, Time Matters, and PCLaw CIC Best Law Firm Solutions, Inc. Tel. 770.998.3800 Reply to: steve@bestlawfirm.com
Not Ranked
Posts 0
psreed54 replied on Tue, Jun 24 2008 1:32 AM
I have the exact same error now and cannot open PCLaw. I just upgraded my stand-alone computer to XP Service Pack 3 from Service Pack 2. Now I get the 'XML support not detected' message. I have PCLaw (Jr?) version 6 on a standalone computer. I know it is an old version no longer supported. I am a sole practitioner, mostly retired, so it is not practical to update the program. I can't find the install disk but am not sure it matters. I found a Microsoft page that appears to be a download for XML V4, but I'm afraid if I do that it either won't install, or worse, wreck other things. I tried the Run ... setup.exe FORCEXML ... as suggested but is that missing a character or something? It said 'setup.exe forcexml' not found. Maybe it should be /forcexml or something? Anyway, I ran the setup.exe as repair, which ran fine, but still the same error. Any other tips or am I just SOL without spending hundreds of $ on an upgrade. For the little I use it now I think I'd just do accounting and billing by hand. Thanks, Paul Reed Olympia, WA
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Steve is correct about using the "forcexml" switch. However, according to the Service Center (formerly the knowledge base), you should try the following:

For PCLaw 8.10b and lower:

1. Select Run from the Windows Start menu.
  2. Type cmd in the Open box and click OK.
  3. Type cd\ at the prompt and press enter.
  4. Type CD windows\system32 at the prompt and press enter.
  5. Type the XML registration command at the prompt:
    • Windows NT/2000 - Type regsvr32 msxml32.dll at the prompt and press enter
    • Windows XP - Type regsvr32 msxml4.dll at the prompt and press enter

For PCLaw 8.20c or higher:

1. Select Run from the Windows Start menu.
  2. Type cmd in the Open box and click OK.
  3. Type cd\ at the prompt and press enter.
  4. Type CD windows\system32 at the prompt and press enter.
  5. Type regsvr32 msxml6.dll at the prompt and press enter.

John Heckman 372 Fifth St. Jersey City, NJ 07302 201 792-0022 heckman@heckmanco.com www.heckmanco.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 113
.CIC
BM CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

John, Steve, et al-

Have you continued to see this error in versions 9 and 10 (c-tree)? I was just asked about what appears to be the same error in v10.02b.

John

John O'Malley TimeMatters/BillingMatters CIC HotDocs CIC PCLaw CIC O'Malley Consulting Springfield, VA (703) 569-3221
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS