LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Staff Summary billing rates

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Duy Thai Posted: Tue, Jan 6 2009 1:53 AM
I recently raised my billing rates. Now in the "Staff Summary" section of the bill, my name is listed twice, under my old billing rate and under my new rate. This happens even though there are no hours billed at the old rate. How do I fix this? I would rather not keep reminding my clients of my old billing rate to which they may look ever more fondly.
Duy Thai San Francisco TM/BM+
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 41
Jwyatt replied on Tue, Jan 6 2009 4:10 PM

My observation has been that Staff shows up twice only when there are two different rates in that particular bill.  So, I don't have a definitive answer for you but I at least wanted you to know that what you are describing would be unexpected behavior by the program to me.  Perhaps you have made an item No Charge yet the rate is still filled in with the old amount.  I would troubleshoot by making an invoice for one day of work and see if "staff" shows up with two rates. If it didn't I would keep expanding the date range until the two rates showed up.  At that point of course you would examine the entries on the newly incorporated date.

Perhaps there is a switch or setting I am not aware of and someone else will chime in with that answer.

Jeff Wyatt
Abilene TX

Not Ranked
Posts 0
tyaa02 replied on Tue, Jan 6 2009 10:47 PM
The same thing happened to me once and I found that I had billing entries at the old rate which were marked "Do Not Bill" and therefore not billed or processed in any way which led to the staff summary including an entry at the old rate even though no time showed on the invoice at that rate.  Once I archived the "Do Not Bill" entries, the staff summary was corrected.  Hope this helps.

Christine Burns, Administrative Assistant Geraghty & Associates Pittsburgh, PA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 348
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC
This is an important process to incorporate into your billing procedures.  The Do Not Bill slips should be archived to eliminate the issue on the staff summaries. This used to be a problem because of billing reports but since V8, archived records can be included in reports - see Options on most billing reports to include archived records.  Saves lots of headaches trying to figure out why these summaries are showing the multiple rates for a staff.
Deanne Ikard Ikard Consulting Time Matters CIC Billing Matters/Billing Matters Plus CIC Time Matters Enterprise CIC LNTPA CIC PCLaw CIC 707-863-9718 Green Valley, CA Serving Northern California
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 348
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

An update on my answer.  Not all reports on billing records will be able to use Archived records.  Please check the reports you run and look under to Options tab to make sure that option is available on any necessary reports.  Otherwise, archiving the records will remove them from the report.

Deanne Ikard Ikard Consulting Time Matters CIC Billing Matters/Billing Matters Plus CIC Time Matters Enterprise CIC LNTPA CIC PCLaw CIC 707-863-9718 Green Valley, CA Serving Northern California
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 348
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

Another update on my answer.  The option to include billed records on some reports in Billing Matters is only available with the Enterprise version not Professional.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS