LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Repeated Variable manipulation

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
AdoptNeed Posted: Mon, Jan 26 2009 12:56 AM

Here's a question I probably won’t even understand the answer to, dealing with REPEATed variables, but here goes:

I have several sets of REPEATing variables (at least I think that's what they are). As to one set, I want HD to compare and contrast answers to them, and change the output text depending on the variables’ content. Specifics will make it clearer:

In any given adoption, there may be one, two, or more kids. And in any given adoption, there may be one, two or more types of adoption. The Petition must name the kids, and also describe what type of adoption applies to each kid.  For example, there might be three kids in one case, two of whom are international adoptees, and the other being a stepchild adoptee.  In another case, there might be three kids again, but they may all have been placed by Child Protective Services.

I have written a computation that uses REPEAT to describe the type of adoption for each kid. That’s fine if the >type< of adoption varies for each child.

But it looks stupid when the result is needlessly repetitious, like this:

". . . . Petition for DFCS adoption of Kid 1, DFCS adoption of Kid 2, and DFCS adoption of Kid 3."

Can someone point me in the right direction for writing a computation that can "tell" when two (or more) of the kids’ >type(s)< of adoption are identical, so that instead of the above, it generates something that groups like adoption types together?  For example, the above case would instead say:

". . . . Petition for DFCS adoption of Kid 1, Kid 2, and Kid 3."

I’m guessing the answer has to do with manipulating "[x]" iterations of REPEATed variables, but I’m just blank on how think about it. (I’ve never liked variable arrays!)

Thanks!

Birney www.AdoptNeed.com Adoption Law Office of Birney O'Brian Bull 420 West Broughton St. Savannah, Georgia 31412-0011 912-ADOPT-NEED
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 111
.CIC
HD CIC
TM CIC
It really depends on how you are gathering data.

(1)  REPEAT on Children.
-  In this case, for each child you have a Multiple Choice variable indicating type of adoption.
- Then run separate repeats for each type of adoption, with on each repeat REPEAT with a Filter for Type of Adoption

(2) Or you can repeat on TYPE of ADOPTION.
- In this case, you specify the Type of Adoption and then enter the names of the children to which this adoption applies.

For more resources, look at the following resources
http://forum.hotdocs.com/
http://www.hotdocs.com/knowledgebase/
http://hotdocstips.bashasys.info/

Cheers,

Seth

Seth G. Rowland, Esq. (CIC) Basha Systems LLC (New York, NY) (800) 725-0326 or sgr@bashasys.com www.bashasys.com (c) 2009 by Basha Systems LLC
Not Ranked
Posts 0
AdoptNeed replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 8:00 AM
Seth Rowland:
.... repeat on TYPE of ADOPTION.
- In this case, you specify the Type of Adoption and then enter the names of the children to which this adoption applies....
THAT'S the kind of thing I just hadn't thought of. Something like that will be the ultimate solution. For now, I've rigged up a test that works for two types of cases: 1. where there is only one type of adoption for any number of kids, and 2. where every kid's type of adoption is different. (Those will cover most cases for a while, but sooner or later, it won't come out right.) Thanks!
Birney www.AdoptNeed.com Adoption Law Office of Birney O'Brian Bull 420 West Broughton St. Savannah, Georgia 31412-0011 912-ADOPT-NEED
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS