LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

PC Law - SQL

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 16
Steven McLean Posted: Mon, May 18 2009 11:00 PM
Does anyone have any information when and if we can expect to see a "true" SQL (Client Server) version without the c-tree layer, and server-side processing implemented?

Steve

Steven McLean

Cook & Company - Barristers and Solicitors

Brampton, ON

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
Well, your question effectively answers why I didn't notice much improvement when our firm upgraded to the SQL version.
Ben Mazzucco Saxe Doernberger & Vita, P.C. Hamden, CT 06517 ------ Using LNTPA 9.0 SR3b Enterprise Using PCLaw Pro Enterprise V9.31b
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 27

I have installed two full versions of PCLaw SQL, one processed only from the MSSQL server 2005 and the second from the MSSQL Server 2003 with a MSTerminal sevices provider using VPN's for service distribution nationally. We have experienced a few minor issues in version 9.3x but speed and performance is not one of them.  It has been a positive experience in place since June 2009. We are finalizing training next week for all users and we will be conducting spot question periods until the go-live October 1 when the old program is retired.(no pun intended).

What sort of issues are you experiencing that no change was noticed, their is so much one can do for speed etc.

Elizabeth Gauthier, McM, CIC PCLaw solution provider since 1997! PCLegal Consulting Services &Training (1998) BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba Canada Toll Free 866.747.2529 Calgary direct 403.203.2526 Direct 306.529-7878 cell

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32
Does anyone know if pclaw 10 is a true SQL version
Hassan Maje Anjarwalla & Khanna PCLawPro Ver 9.10d, Accounting Method: Accruals
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 417
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
HD CIC
TM CIC
Mark Deal replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 10:17 PM
We have implemented this in the following environment: SQL Server 2008 running on Windows Server 2008. Quad Processors, 16 Gb of RAM. The PCLaw SQL database is less than 350 Mb in size. This server has the networked PCLaw data on it and SQL Server...that's it! Our client is running bills today. When he generates his bills, he ends up with a stack of invoices about 12 inches tall. The billing process will take approximately 12 hours to run today. That is not a typo, twelve hours. Oh, and it blazes along this fast whether it is running on the server directly or from a workstation. No anti-virus software running on the server and the entire server is excluded from AV scanning. FWIW, it ran like this prior to moving to SQL during the upgrade to version 10. He purchased the new server just to speed up this process. Is this normal?

Mark Deal (CIC/Moderator)
Document & Data Solutions, LLC
TMTools, LLC
Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.docsol.com
mdeal@docsol.com
(770) 888-1940
Time Matters | HotDocs | PCLaw | TMTools | DDSLink | Worldox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 213
.CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
FWIW, are there any embedded graphics on the Invoice template?

Steve Miller, JD
Certified Independent Consultant

LexisNexis: Total Practice Advantage® | PCLaw® | Time Matters Enterprise®
Philadelphia PA Metro area and SNJ
www.lawbill.com
"Home of Free Online Training"

steve@lawbill.com
609-313-0988

Twitter: LawBill

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 417
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
HD CIC
TM CIC
Mark Deal replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 11:31 PM
Thought I would share a quote from my client: "If you are asking if there is anything other than words on our invoice templates, the answer is no. We have no graphics or logo or funny pictures or scary pictures or pictures of Obama or pictures of me or anything like that. Steve wanted to include kittens but I voted that down."

Mark Deal (CIC/Moderator)
Document & Data Solutions, LLC
TMTools, LLC
Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.docsol.com
mdeal@docsol.com
(770) 888-1940
Time Matters | HotDocs | PCLaw | TMTools | DDSLink | Worldox

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6

12 inches of paper is about 3000 sheets (6 reams) max, probably much less once it's been printed.

Even if you're running 3000 separate bills in 12 hours, that's still between 4 and 5 seconds per bill.  If most of those are 2 page bills, that's 8-10 seconds per bill.  I can only compare to the non sql version myself, but that seems extraordinarily slow.

How long does it take you to run a known number of invoices, i.e. 10 bills?

How much customization do your bills have?

Erik Hammarlund

Hammarlund Law Office

PO Box 2487

18 State Road, Unit B

Vineyard Haven, MA 02568

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS