Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Close matter error messages and trust account journal

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4
Marek Modzelewski Posted: Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:07 AM

Hello,

1. Most of the time I deactivate a matter I receive the following error message: "an uncleared General Bank item(s)' or "an uncleared Trust bank item(s)" I checked client ledger reports, matter manager for any balance and everything is zero. All the receipts came in and allocated properly and everything was done in correct way. Should I ignore this message and continue with deactivating?
  2.  Is there any way to adjust trust bank journal through GL adjustment? Version 10.01b allows to adjust operating bank journal using GL adjustment function but I was unable to do so with the trust bank. Thank you for your help.

Thank you .

Marek Modzelewski
Kennedy Lillis Schmidt & English
New York, NY
PCLaw Version 10.01b Windows XP PCLaw user: Beginner

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

1. I suspect that if you go into your bank reconciliation window you will find that there are transactions for the matter in question that have not yet been reconciled. It is a good idea to reconcile before deactivating.

2. It would not be a good idea to adjust the trust bank journal through a GL adjustment as you can not tie the amounts to a client in a GL Adjustment and trust transactions should be tied to a client.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 544
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

You didn't mention the PCLaw version, but recently I had a client on V8 who was getting this message when trying to close matters.  There were no outstanding items, no a/r, etc.  Tech support said that this was a known issue and the message is in error.  They said to go ahead and continue with the closing/deactivation. 

Pat Cunningham, PCLaw CIC, Time Matters CIC

C & S LegalTech Consulting Group, LLC

Birmingham, AL

(205) 647-1850

http://www.cslegaltech.com

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS