LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Change/Write Off Bill

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8
Diago Fernandes Posted: Sun, Mar 14 2010 3:24 AM

Recently I have upgraded PC Law from 9.31c to 10.03a.

When I go to change bill under Change/Write off bill, the G/L Account drop down box is missing. The same was available in version 9.31c.

Note that under Option, System Setting, Other, Use G/L Accounting box is selected.

Can someone please let me know under which default G/L account will the write off be allocated in absence of drop down box ? On the other hand, how do I get back the G/L Account drop down box in the change bill screen.

Many thanks.

Diago Fernandes IT Administrator Bin Shabib & Associates (BSA) LLP Building# 3, Level 6, Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) PO Box 262, Dubai, UAE T +9714 368 5555 (ext 239). PC Law Enterprise Pro V 10.03a

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32

I do testing on 10.XX on home machine. V 10.03a does have G/L lists available on pop ups under Change/Woff Bill.

Are you saying that a) the G/L box is not available, or b) the G/L pop-up during double-clicking right mouse yields nothing or c) that G/L Pop-up brings up no G/L accounts?

In my past exprience there have been instances when no G/L accounts are available during Pop Up help. I have had to exit PCLaw and relogin. If that's the case you need to check whether G/L accounts are availble on other data screens in PCLaw. You may also need to check that Use G/L Accounting is selected on the machine under Wokstation Settings>Other tab  

If settings are ok and relogin fails, perform VDI failing which contact Tech Support (case of data corruption perhaps).

Hassan Maje Anjarwalla & Khanna PCLawPro Ver 9.10d, Accounting Method: Accruals
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8

Hassan,

When I go to change/write off, I do not find the pop up for G/L Account under Fees (Bill Details), whereas the same is available under Disbs.

I checked the settings under systems & workstation and find G/L Accounting selected.

My question is in absence of G/L accounts selection against Fees, under which default G/L accounts will the write off be balanced.

Thanks.

Diago Fernandes IT Administrator Bin Shabib & Associates (BSA) LLP Building# 3, Level 6, Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) PO Box 262, Dubai, UAE T +9714 368 5555 (ext 239). PC Law Enterprise Pro V 10.03a

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 32

Diago

Very surprising Fee box does not have G/L pop up help. I would first establish why it is not available. I recall you are on SQL, so you may have your own unique issues.

To answer your question: The Fees reduction affects the Fee Credit lawyers G/L Accounts in the proportion of original fee allocations - PClaw supposed to do this on its own automatically so users dont have to worry about which G/L accounts to use - you just leave it blank. However in your case you dont even have an option to select G/L A/c. You should ensure by running the W/Up Down Journal and the G/L Statement for good measure to determine the G/L A/cs the W/Off has been debited to. 

Best

Hassan Maje Anjarwalla & Khanna PCLawPro Ver 9.10d, Accounting Method: Accruals
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 544
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

If your books are set up as either cash or modified cash, there is no g/l for writing down time.   Unbilled time or accounts receivable are not carried on the books, and therefore when you write them off, there is no write off to the g/l.  The only time this would show is if the books are set for accrual based accounting.

Client costs (soft & Hard costs) are carried on your books, and therefore when you write them down, you do have a g/l pop up box to choose the write down account. 

So unless you are on accrual basis, you will not have the g/l box for fees. 

Pat Cunningham, PCLaw CIC, Time Matters CIC

C & S LegalTech Consulting Group, LLC

Birmingham, AL

(205) 647-1850

http://www.cslegaltech.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:09 AM

Have you checked your Accounting Method? Help - About PCLaw - Accounting method.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8

Thanks Pat & Matt, your replies are bang on target. I had recently moved my backend PC Law to a brand new server with Windows 2008 Standar Edition. After moving with the same version of PC Law, I upgraded to new version 10.03a.  I have no clue after upgrading why the accounting mode changed from Accruals to Cash.

Since we are only two weeks since this change in accounting mode was detected, will there be any implications of the accounts flow, billing and accounts receivables?

PC Law tech support are in process of correcting the accounting mode. Many Thanks for your replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS