LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

How do I track the date of phase changes on the document form

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 10
Edward McGlone Posted: Wed, Apr 21 2010 12:17 PM

I have been playing with this for a day or so and can’t find a good way to make it work. I want to track the phase a document is in along with the date that phase was reached. The phases are “Draft”, “Final”, “Sent” and “Served/Filed”. It’s a hierarchy so only the most recent phase and date need to show on the document form. I have designated the user1 field on the Document form to contain the phase and the user field5 to be the date. I have played with auto entry forms and triggers trying to come up with a way to populate the date field with the date the phase field was changed, no luck. I also thought about a trigger/auto entry combination that would archive the existing document form and create a new one that reflects the current phase, but the new form only inherits client and matter and not other needed fields like description and file name.

I could train everyone to “Save and Copy” the document form every time there is a phase change and then manually make the change and archive the old form, but something more automatic is more likely to gain compliance.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed

Edward S. McGlone | Edward McGlone Law Offices | 503-486-7048 | emcglonelaw.com | Governmentlitigaionblog.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

What you are looking for is much easier but you have to know that you can use a variable.  The trigger would be:

Fires When  Field Changed (field is User1).
Action is Change Field (user5 field) to {TODAY}   . The {TODAY} with the brackets is the variable that you need to know. This will insert today's date.

I would also suggest setting User1 to be audited. That way the audit log for the document record will capture, who and when the User1 was changed, so you can have the complete history.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 10

Matt - Thanks for this answer, it works like a charm.  Is there a source some where that endusers can access that gives you information such as this. It would be a big help!

Ed

Edward S. McGlone | Edward McGlone Law Offices | 503-486-7048 | emcglonelaw.com | Governmentlitigaionblog.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
Matt Stone replied on Wed, May 12 2010 10:47 PM

http://www.lexisnexis.com/COMMUNITY/PMFORUMS ;-)

But there are not many variables to know.

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS