LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Backup of TM 10

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4
Marc P. Schwartzbach Posted: Sun, Aug 8 2010 1:38 AM

I am recently implemented a TM 10 backup plan.  It backs up data as well as the SQL Server.

Two issues: 

1.  Because I have a standalone, I am unable to create a backup of SQL without exiting the program.  I have a scheduled backup via MS Scheduler.  It does not work if TM 10 is open.  Any method automatically close the program at the time of the backup?

2.  How do you backup the SQL Data folder?  Certain files are always in use and are skipped.

Marc P. Schwartzbach, Esq. Westfield, New Jersey 07090
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,196
.CIC
BM CIC
TM CIC

1.  Using a DOS batch file, you can create a little program that runs a MS SQL Server stored procedure included in the Time Matters database, TM_Backup. You can use the Microsoft Task Scheduler to run the little program regularly. It creates a MS SQL Server backup of your Time Matters database, a .BAK file, whether Time Matters is running or not. For example, you can set it to run once per hour so that in the event of a hard drive failure or other problem, you have a very recent backup.

2.  If you create a MS SQL Server backup of Time Matters regularly, you do not have to backup the SQL data folder, but I still recommend that you do so in order to have redundant protection. You can backup open files using leading backup software utilities and online backup services.

We recommend:

• ShadowProtect from StorageCraft to create an image backup of your hard drive onto an external USB drive.
  • SyncBackSE from www.2brightsparcks.com for backing up files to an external USB drive.
  • Active Online Backup for backing up your client documents, your critical Time Matters data, and your financial data. Active Online Backup was designed specifically for small law firms as an affordable, super-secure, automatic backup service. www.activeonlinebackup.com

We run Active Online Backup, a separate backup business providing products, support and assistance to small law offices.

Wells Anderson, JD, CIC / Moderator
800.575.0007 - Edina, MN - © 2012
www.activepractice.com
Free Time Matters Webinars monthly on the second Friday

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS