LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Setting up a Client Complaint Form

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
Martina Donagher Posted: Wed, Aug 18 2010 9:43 AM

Our managing partner has asked me to set up a Client Complaint Form which can appear on a List in Time Matters.  He would like to be able to have a "register" of all Client Complaints so that he can prepare reports for our Insurers.  Each Client Complaint Form contains usual Client information, as well as details of the complaint.  I've considered the following options:

1. Create a Custom Form and use Custom List to create Reports.  We've never used Custom Forms and from initial investigations, they don't appear to print very clearly i.e., the fields are not aligned in columns etc

2. Create a User Defined Record for Client Complaints.  Using this, I could assemble the Client Complaint Form using HotDocs and have a Trigger create the Client Complaint UDR afterwards with basic details, then we could print Reports from that.

3. Create template in HotDocs and then customise a Report which only shows Client Complaint Forms.

Can anyone advise on which of the above routes would be best for what I need?  My initial thoughts were Custom Forms would be best but it has taken me quite an amount of time to create the first few fields and I have a deadline to get some sort of procedure up and running.

Thanks in advance.

Martina

Martina Donagher,

Lewis C. Doyle Solicitors, Augustine Court, St. Augustine Street, Galway, Ireland Tel: +353 91 549300

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Custom forms are a legacy portion of Time Matters and I would not recommend using them.

What is the best option depends on what kind of information you are trying to track. Is it verbose? just dates?  The limiting factor of a UDR (and perhaps all TM records) is there is only 1 memo section.   If you need more than that...  Perhaps post some further reqirements.

To be clear, you are tracking when clients complain to you about your service?  Or a complaint that is filed in court?

Matt

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

Being a Legacy part of Time Matters, are Custom Forms scheduled or likely to disappear in future releases?

Steven McLean

Cook & Company - Barristers and Solicitors

Brampton, ON

Steven@Cookandcompany.ca

Brampton, ON

Steven@Cookandcompany.ca

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

There has been no official announcement from LexisNexis regarding custom forms. We are not in a position to say what, if anything, will happen to custom forms in the future. LexisNexis does not generally remove features.

The recommendation to use a UDR does not come from knowing that custom forms will be discontinued. The recommendation comes from knowing the power and capabilities of UDR, a relatively new feature of Time Matters.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

Previously we used a competitive product.  It had "Custom Fields" on the matter record which allowed more data than the Time Matters "Custom Fields".  This data is used for merging to forms.  To have the volume of data available to merge these forms, I am finding it necessary to use a "Custom Form" then all the data is available on the merge. 

If there is a better solution please let me know.

Steven McLean

Brampton, ON

Steven@Cookandcompany.ca

Brampton, ON

Steven@Cookandcompany.ca

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 111
.CIC
HD CIC
TM CIC

User Defined Records (UDRs) are good in that you have up to 55 customizable fields.  I presume you will have already created a contact record for each complainant.  The question is what do you do if you have MORE than one complaint from a single client.  If you only need to track a few fields (up to 8 fields), I would use the NOTE record and use a form style (e.g. COMP | Client Complaint).  You could then customize up to 8 users fields to track the "date" of complaint and the status and action on the complaint.  When running reports, just filter on COMP classification code.

Seth G. Rowland, Esq. (CIC) Basha Systems LLC (New York, NY) (800) 725-0326 or sgr@bashasys.com www.bashasys.com (c) 2009 by Basha Systems LLC
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS