LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Viewing one record in a backup

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38
Joseph Nierenberg Posted: Mon, Sep 12 2011 3:42 PM

Is there a way to view one record (actually just a couple of fields) from a TM backup, using TM, SQL Server Management Studio, or Access?

Somehow, one specific piece of information in the memo field of a record has been lost (and the next line became joined to the previous line).  I'm sure it exists in a backup from a while ago, but I cannot figure out how to view the tables in a backup archive, and I do now want to restore it for obvious reasons.

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12
.CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

The only way to look at records in a backup is to restore them. You can however restore them to a new database using the SQL Server Management Studio and look at them in there.

Richard Harlan, PCLaw CIC, Time Matters CIC, CompuTeam Inc, 22365 Barton Road, Suite 208 Grand Terrace, CA 92313,  909-370-204, harlanr@computeaminc.com, www.computeaminc.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38

That's very helpful, Richard; thank you.  As far as you know, would I be able to do that without running afoul of some LexisNexis licensing control?  I wouldn't want suddenly to lose my ability to open the regular db because I had opened the new/restored db.

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 589
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

Joseph, is it possible that you have the Audit feature turned on in your memo field?  If so, go to the Record in question and to Properties>Audit.  The Audit tab will show you date, time, user, field and then what was in the field and what it was changed to.  Audit has program level settings and then can be customized at the field level.

Richard B. Marx MME Consulting Services, LLC Lexis Nexis Time Matters Certified Independent Consultant (CIC) Moderator Phoenix, AZ 602-667-5706 info@mmeonline.net http://www.mmeonline.net/

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS