LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Time Matters 11 install on Windows 7 problem;

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8
David Bert Havas Posted: Tue, Sep 20 2011 8:13 PM

I am reinstalling Time Matters 11 on a Windows 7 computer and am running into a problem. Time Matters installs properly, but, when I try to get the correct files in the Set File Locations window it tells me that I need to be in administrative mode in order to change the file locations. When I right click on the Time Matters icon and select "Run as Administrator," the locations show up correctly. But when I I try to run it by clicking the icon, it won't let me insert the locations, yet the locations are blank and cannot be entered. What do I need to do to get TM 11 to run correctly?

David Bert Havas

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Basically you don't have adequate rights. Ideally you will change your user rights on your computer to have more rights. Alternatively, you can right click on the icon and go to properties. Then you can set the program to always run as Administrator.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried several ways to get the user rights changed, but, none of them work. I have tried to change the ownership of the computer and have tried to change it by right clicking on the icon, etc. I get the same results. When I try to activate Time Matters, I first get the question if I want to allow changes by the program tmwe. I indicate yes and then get a blank File Locations. When I open the change file locations, all the locations are listed correctly, but, when I click OK and the File Locations window pops up, it still shows blank.

I've gone to the c:\ root to change ownership and permissions with no difference. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Time Matters, and still don't get a difference.

I installed the program from the setup file installed at the initial install of Time Matters 11 on my server.

Do I need to do something with Windows 7?

David Bert Havas

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8

I tried to reply to your suggestion a couple of days ago, but, haven't seen it on the list, so am posting this.

I have tried to set the user rights to full rights for all listed users. I set it that way in both the Time Matters 11 prompt as well as going to the C:\root and the TMWE.EXE file, but, none of them solved the issue. I still get blank file locations, but, when I click on the change icon, they are there. I set Time Matters to always log on as administrator. Do I need to do something with Windows 7? I also tried to set Time Matters to run in XP mode, that didn't solve the issue either.

David Bert Havas

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Do you have UAC (user access control) turned on on the workstation? Was it turned on or off when you did the install on the workstation? 

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS