LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

How do I merge two contact records?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
rewlaw Posted: Mon, Nov 21 2011 5:40 PM

I know there is a way to run a report to identify all duplicate contacts, but is there a way to merge two contact fields?

We have inadvertently created and entered info into duplicate contact fields for clients and need to merge the info.

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

If it is a question of having records related to both contacts, what you can do is change the ref name or contact number of one of them (so they can be differentiated in a look-up list) and then relate the records on that contact to the other contact. Once there are no related records on the duplicate, you can archive or delete it. 

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
rewlaw replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:50 PM

Thanks, Kathy, how do I do that?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

You can merge two contacts most easily by opening one, preferably the one that has the most correct information. Then click on Edit - Duplicate Check. You can set the rules you want and the duplicates will be listed. Once they are listed the bottom will show COMBINE. When you choose this you get an option as to which field you want to choose from each client record and whether you want to delete or archive the duplicate.

Please note that the duplicate check screen has three sections. These are OR sections, not AND. The bottom section lets you get very specific in your field checking. I find that just the first section is usually sufficient.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
.CIC
BM CIC
HD CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Time Matters has a utility that will guide you to merge two contact.  Go to File > Utilities > Check for Duplicate Contact.  This utility will allow you to re-assign all the related records to the merged contact record.

Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
rewlaw replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:37 PM

Thanks,Caren. That's what I was looking for.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 40
Ken Brown replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 10:22 AM

I'd like to check for duplicates but when I try this Time Matters hangs with "Not Responding".

I use:

TM 10.0 SP3 Hotfix 1011 Enterprise
Windows 7 32-bit - all current patches
i7 CPU  860 @ 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram (3.24GB usable)

Any suggestions?

Ken Brown Dunn and Dunn Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,280
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Are you trying to check for duplicates across all contacts? Or are you checking for a duplicate to 1 contact?
This process can take a long time and even longer depending on the criteria you have set to show a conflict. I would try it from 1 contact. If that works, I would let it run for some time.

Matt 

Matt Stone, LLB
Premier CIC - Forum Administrator
7SecondSystem.com
The 7 Second Blog

LexisNexis Platinum Achievement Circle 2009 Top Sales Producer – Time Matters

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS