LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

documents not seen by all users for a contact

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
wvineyard Posted: Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:55 AM

5 user office, when a particular contact is opened up and the document tab selected, 2 of the users can see all of the documents associated with that contact (today's date and back) while the other 3 users can only see documents on and before 4/29/2010.  It does not matter which machine is used, it is at the user level.  Any ideas why these 3 users cannot see any documents after 4/29/10 for this contact?  I have not verified that this is happening for other contacts but I will check.

Thanks for any help

Walt

Walt Vineyard Blackwell Law Offices Cleveland, TN XP/W2K/ TM7 Enterprise
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7

I have been able to verify that this is happening with multiple contacts.  It's almost like there is a filter being applied for these users that does not allow them to see documents created after a certain date.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
.CIC
BM CIC
HD CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

File > Setup > General > User Level > Lists

Choose Documents in "Options for Each List Type" area then click on "Set List Options".

Check "Pre-Search Default Selection for Initial List Opening" and it should be set to "<<All Records>>".  Any filter set here will affect your view of what documents will be viewed in the "All" tab.

You can also check the Document tab in the Matter form to see if there is a filter being applied.  Hope these suggestion help.

Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Ardavan Gurg
Pars Consulting Incorporated
www.parsconsulting.com
agurg@parsconsulting.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7

I was able to verify that the "all records" was already set for each of these users per your first suggestion.  I'm not sure where to check the document tab in the matter form that you suggested.  I am not a user of the system...I just maintain their computers.  I appreciate your assistance.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7

I was able to verify that the settings for each users were already set to <<All Records>>, so apparently that is not the problem.

Thank you for your response and help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 467
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
TM CIC

Could it be that those records not being seen are either filter out by security settings due to classification code, or are marked 'private'?

Kathy Burger PREMIER LEVEL CIC - PCLaw, Time and Billing Matters Plus Certified Kathy Burger Consulting, LLC 200 Windward Ave. Beachwood, NJ 08722 732-279-6301 Kathy@KathyBurgerConsulting.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
.CIC
TM CIC

On the workstation logins with different displaying records, open a matter record, click the document tab and then click the properties button for the document list.  It is loacated in the middle of the screen on the sublist toolbar and looks like a hand holding a piece of paper.

Once the properties window opens, click the List tab.  Compare the settings for each workstation.  I'm guessing one or the other has checked to show archived records and one does not have this selected.  Or it could be the display Matter related, contact related or both settings causing the difference.

HTH

Michael W. Gaines Jr.
Gaines Database Consulting
Time Matters CIC
Florence, SC 29501
(843) 615-8084
mgaines@gainesconsulting.com
http://www.gainesconsulting.com

Proud Southeastern Affiliate of Eastern Legal Systems, LLC
http://www.easternlegalsystems.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7

I will try to clarify a bit:

I am on the same workstation, logging in with different usernames to get these results, which were reported to me from the users when they noticed the issue.  These users have their own workstations and only login as themselves.  I acutally went to the server (which no one uses), logged on as all 5 users to verify it was not a workstation issue and I came up with these results:  Two usernames can see all of the documents in the contact form and 3 users cannot. 

You mentioned "or it could be the display Matter related......".  I apologize, but I 'm a little confused on that part.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions...this one is driving me crazy.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
.CIC
TM CIC

The settings I mentioned in the post above are specific to login.  Follow the steps above to check the sublist properties and compare.  The archived setting and "display"  setting are both in the same place. Contact/Matter Form>Document Tab>Sublist properties>List Tab

Michael W. Gaines Jr.
Gaines Database Consulting
Time Matters CIC
Florence, SC 29501
(843) 615-8084
mgaines@gainesconsulting.com
http://www.gainesconsulting.com

Proud Southeastern Affiliate of Eastern Legal Systems, LLC
http://www.easternlegalsystems.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Walt,

I recognize that you are trying to help your client. However, if you don't find the solution you might consider bringing in a Certified Independent consultant. What you are spending lots of time on might be "fixed" by a consultant in a few minutes. Perhaps a little training on the program could be of benefit.

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
wvineyard replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:45 AM

Problem resolved.

Michael's posts pointed me to the correct spot, I just didn't look at anything other than the "show archived records" checkbox.  The 3 users that are unable to see all of the documents have the "Automatic relations by" area set to "matter" while the 2 that work are set to "both".  The contact that they were viewing to look for documents is not assigned to a Matter, thus the documents don't appear in the list.  While talking with the owner, this setting was requried when their QB program was integrated and has to be set that way.  Apparently this has been an issue since the QB was integrated about 18 months ago and they are just now noticing it.  I was under the impression that it just started happening recently and was perplexed.

I truly appreciate everyone's insight and posts.  I agree that training would be beneficial for me but in all reality, this client is the only one that uses TM and they very rarely have issues.  (Knocking very loudly on wood).

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Walt

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS