LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Backing up and e-mail attachments

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38
Joseph Nierenberg Posted: Thu, May 3 2012 2:20 PM

1. In the backup dialog within TM there is an option to "skip backing up of email attachments." Is that option limited to the file system attachments? If not, does it include, i.e., skip, attachments in both TM email and also Inbox email?

2. I transferred some large attachments from my inbox to the file system, and it reduced the size of my backup (with attachments skipped). Thinking that might also decrease the time for loading the Inbox, I then moved all Inbox mail older than a certain date to the Email list, and transferred all attachments older than that cutoff date and larger than a fairly small size to the file system. My backup (again, with attachments skipped), even after running the database maintenance, was now over 70Mb larger than before, even though it supposedly had far fewer attachments. Why?

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38

Question 1, above, is still pending.

Question 2, however, now has an answer: When I backed up after transferring the messages to TM email and sending the attachments to the file system, there were still duplicates of those messages in the deleted subfolder of the Inbox. So they were basically duplicated. Now that I've deleted those and re-backed up, the backup size is, as expected, much smaller than before.

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS