Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Problems migrating TimeMatters10 to a new server

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12
Manuela Maggi Posted: Mon, May 14 2012 4:19 PM

Hi there,

I have to migrate an existing TimeMatters10 instance to a new server with a new SQL Server but I have some problems.

I did 3 different attempts but I couldn’t complete the installation in any case:

1)

I completed the installation of TimeMatters10 on the new server,

when the installation program asked if I want to create a new SQL Server instance I replied NO,

I have made the backup of the old db (SQL server 2005) on the old server and restored it on the SQL Server 2008 of the new server, but the installation program doesn’t recognize it!!!

2)

I removed the new installation of TimeMatters10 and I repeated it as a new complete installation (also with the SQL Server):

I installed SQL Server 2005 on the new server creating a new db, then I tried to restore the old db on the new TimeMatters10 db (the one that was created during the installation program) but it answered that I cannot do it.

3)

I removed the second new installation of TimeMatters10 and I installed it again: when the installation program asked if I want to create a new SQL Server instance I replied NO, I restored the old db on the new SQL Server 2005 as a different db, the installation program recognizes it. So, I completed the installation linking TimeMatters 10 to this db, but when I start Time Matters it answer “DB non found”!!!

Can you suggest me a solution that works quickly?

I must complete the migration within the current month!

Many thanks and best regards

Manuela Maggi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 417
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
HD CIC
TM CIC
Mark Deal replied on Mon, May 14 2012 4:45 PM

Unfortunately, this is not an easy answer all of the time.  I take no responsibility for what follows other than to tell you that this is how you do it.  :)  Your mileage may vary.

1.  Detach the live live database.

2.  Install Time Matters on the new server as if it is a new installation but do not license it.

3.  Detach the blank, newly created database.

4.  COPY the live detached database the new server, overwriting the detached data from step 3.

5.  Attach the live database on the new server.

6.  Run the following SQL Script against the live database on the new server:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'lntmuser'

This will get the system running on the new server but there are WAY too many variations to tell you where to go from here.  There are a number of CIC's who can help if you get into a bind, but it is generally a lot easier to connect to a system and show than it is to describe in a forum.

Kind of like asking a lawyer how to defend yourself in a capital murder trial.

Mark Deal (CIC/Moderator)
Document & Data Solutions, LLC
TMTools, LLC
Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.docsol.com
mdeal@docsol.com
(770) 888-1940
Time Matters | HotDocs | PCLaw | TMTools | DDSLink | Worldox

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS