CIC Solutions Forums
Certified Independent Consultant Solutions Forums for
LexisNexis® Practice Management Products
Time Matters - PCLaw - Billing Matters - Browser Edition - HotDocs

Multiple remote TM installations w/o common server?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38
Joseph Nierenberg Posted: Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:41 PM

Is it correct that there are no features of TM that could be used together, or shared, by a distributed work team without also providing each team member access to a common server which would hold the TM data?

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 353
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Unless this is a trick question, I'd say the answer is No.  If you let us know what you are trying to accomplish, we might be able to give you a better answer. 

For example:  If you want 10 people working remotely to use every function in Time Matters, then you'd need to use Remote Desktop/Citrix or some other kind of remote control software.  If you want to import prospective client leads received from a remote user, then it's possible to import data from a .csv file received from the remote user.

Robert S. McNeill, J.D., Time Matters-Billing Matters-PCLaw CIC, Moderator

OTB Consulting-2009 and 2010 Lexis Platinum Achievement Award-Top Time Matters Producer

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 38

No trick question :-)

I've gotten busier and I'm delegating more, currently to a law clerk but conceivably in the near future to an associate. We are, currently and for the foreseeable future, operating remotely from our own offices. I use TM extensively. When delegating to others, I use a combination of todo records and e-mail, tied together with specific task numbers. It works fine, but it would be better if I could just send the task record to the delegatee. I might buy another TM seat, but it seems like that would be insufficient. I'd also need to reconfigure my hardware. I'm due for replacing most hardware soon, anyway, so the question is whether to go to a separate file server plus workstations, so the other(s) can wire in to the TM data, or whether there's some way to avoid that while still having us use TM together. I think the only answer is to go with a commonly accessed file server (or to figure out how to put TM on a remote but professionally managed web server running Apache, but that's over my head).

Comments?

Joseph Nierenberg
Nierenberg Employment Law, PLLC
Consulting – Litigation – Training
Minneapolis, Minnesota
www.nierenberg.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,699
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

If the data to be shared is limited you might be able to use TM Mobility. You could have an account for the remote user and they could login and view their calendar/to dos. There is limited information about the matter and contact visible, but depending on your needs it might work. 

Caren Schwartz (Moderator/CIC)

35-45 Consulting

& Time & Cents Consultants, LLC

Southport, CT

www.3545consulting.com / www.timeandcents.com

203-254-7736

Software for Managing Time, Money & Information

Time Matters, Billing Matters, Billing Matters Plus, PC Law CIC

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 353
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC
WS CIC

Just as It's hard to give legal advice by email because you're not able to have a dialog, it's hard to give practice management consulting advice by email for the same reason.  Email is good for Yes or No answers.

Having said that, a couple of thoughts: 

1.  Cheap option:  You can easily morph a ToDo into an Email by copying the Memo field of the ToDo, then creating an Email using the CTRL+SHFT+E hotkey and pasting the contents of the Memo field into the email message and making whatever changes to the message that are necessary.  Then you can use OTB's Delegation System (http://www.otb-consulting.com/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,16/Itemid,219/) to keep track of the ToDo.  This isn't perfect, but it might meet your needs.

2.  Efficient option:  Set up a server with Remote Desktop Services or terminal server that will allow multiple remote users to access the server and use Time Matters at the same time so multiple workstations are not necessary, and add as many Time Matters licenses as you need concurrent users.  Everyone would then use Time Matters as usual.  In addition to managing your own server, there are options for remote management of your server.  I don't want to list any here because I am sure I will leave some off.  This is more expensive, but if you rely on remote users to run your practice, you need them to be part of your system in order to be efficient.

I am sure there are other options as well.

Robert S. McNeill, J.D., Time Matters-Billing Matters-PCLaw CIC, Moderator

OTB Consulting-2009 and 2010 Lexis Platinum Achievement Award-Top Time Matters Producer

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 544
.CIC
BM CIC
BMP CIC
PCL CIC
TM CIC

Joseph - We have a Virtual Desktop cloud solution to host your Time Matters and your documents, provide you with hosted exchange, Microsoft Office, backup and remote access from anywhere.  No need for hardware purchases and remote access solutions for each user.  Great disaster recovery plan as well.  We configure exchange sync to keep your TM calendar in sync with Outlook, Iphone, Ipad or Droid. 

If you are interested in learning more, please contact me directly at 205-647-1850  Ext 1

Pat Cunningham, PCLaw CIC, Time Matters CIC

C & S LegalTech Consulting Group, LLC

Birmingham, AL

(205) 647-1850

http://www.cslegaltech.com

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS